View Single Post
Old 06-03-2005, 11:03 PM   #8
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

As a fellow 'betrayed-by-love' comrade, I salute you, Scottsie.

Disappointingly, no criminal record from me. However, dramatic final tale of soured love similar to yours. After my 'immolation' in the desert that was L.A. and basically being neglected and treated in such a way that made it look like I had intruded on his 'new' life there, my ex finally made the insinuation that I was no longer physically and emotionally attractive to him. He had acquired a new friend and **** buddy, a sweet but easily influenced guy named G. It was originally his idea to move to the West Coast in the first place, dissuading me from continuing to pursue my career in the fashion industry by moving to New York. I put his vague and capricious interests above mine and went with him, wanting him to be happy. Yep, I was that much in love. What followed were him spending nights over at friends' houses, glamorous parties he had gone to with G that only I had found out about weeks later as he just casually mentioned it, many outings with friends I was never invited to. All the while I was struggling with that which he had told me not long after the furniture arrived by the movers: "I see all this and you and it reminds me of what I was trying to get away from."

Well, he was superficially happy, and I paid dearly for it. I tried to keep the relationship going for the next couple years. This is only a part of the story, but after 2 years in L.A. I finally left him and went into depression. Shortly after that I moved back to Chicago, heartbroken and very weak emotionally.

A year later I was on friendly terms with S, had my own place, my own life back, and working at a private library and cultural center. S decided there was nothing left in L.A. for him (was there anything there for him in the first place?) so he moved back to Chicago too, followed by his friend and **** buddy, G. Soon the position for head marketing for the library became open and I recommended S; basically I helped him get the job. We were fine, but I was still trying to heal myself deep inside and getting on by myself.

Then one evening S and I went out to dinner. We were having a marvelous time, until we went to a bar for drinks after. During the course of the conversation we got onto to discussing relationships and how we grow from them. I said that I don't know when I could be with someone again, but if and when that happens I now know more from experience how to handle myself. And that was when he made the supreme insult that, after several years of putting up with him, finally made me snap. He said that for his next boyfriend he hopes he can find someone who won't let him get away with shit. I had to excuse myself, go to the restroom, and run ice cold water over my trembling hands. I was so shaky with white hot anger that I had to stay in the restroom a few minutes to cool down.

In the end, after he and I said good night, I walked away, but stopped and turned around and shadowed him all the way back to his place. I knocked on his door and when he answered I confronted him with everything I've pent up: "You ***t! What do you think I've been trying to do all these years?! I put my career on hold for you, I sacrificed so many things, gave you all the space you needed and more! I wanted to see you happy! I just wanted that for you! Why? Because I loved you. That's all. I loved you."

Then I realized how stupid I must have sounded, and so attempting to regain my dignity, tears running down my cheeks, I turned around and walked down the stairs. Then he yelled, "You need HELP!"

I calmly turned around, walked up to him, and punched him across the face with all the strength I had left. I then turned around and walked away, with him screaming every single profanity known to man at me. My hand hurt, but I laughed hysterically and triumphantly all the way home. And that was the last time he and I ever spoke. And you know what? I knew that he knew he was the Supreme Ultimate Asshole then. I only wish the cops came and arrested me. It would have made it much sweeter, a criminal record well deserved and relished.

And since then I garnered my reputation in the community of being a heartbreaker, inadvertantly making men fall in love with me but never feeling I deserved it and thus running away each time. That's how S had f#&ked up my life.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien