View Single Post
Old 06-03-2005, 03:23 PM   #51
SirDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien
I think your list is very informative, and I said so. I'm very surprised that both SirDave and you seem to think I'm starting a disagreement about what is rare and what is not, that was not my intention. Discussing adventures is great, but exchanging info about availability, technical problems, etcetera is an important reason for me to read forums. Like you, I was only trying to be helpful!

I'm sorry my post has annoyed you and SirDave. I will not comment on your list again or at the very least make sure that my comments are only related to a particular game and not your list or the collector's pov.
NP. I hope you'll continue to post about your experience with rare games, because you already gave some interesting information. Re-reading your original post I can see how it might be interpreted in the way you say above that you intended. The problem really started with the statement: I agree with Samnmax: I've seen most games you list as "extremely rare" on ebay or elsewhere.

Not being specific about some of these subjects can drive people like me crazy who have been out there in the AG-collector trenches. I ran into a similiar conversation recently with someone who sort-of non-chalantly let it drop that he had gotten Under A Killing Moon to 'run' directly under WinXP. Well, that sort of set me off because I spent many an hour trying to subdue UAKM on WinXP and failed! (Remember, we're talking directly under WinXP, not Dosbox and/or VDMSound). It turned out he'd gotten some introductory screens up but no sound & hadn't played the game all the way thru without crashing. As it turned out, he meant well, but it wasn't helpful to people who thought they could easily fire up UAKM under WinXP.

Anyway, one has to be patient collecting AGs and even though rare games do turn up on Ebay occasionally, you still have to be prepared to pay big money for games that are legitimately known to be rare. I would also say that it takes a little time to distinguish truly rare games from games that sellers on Ebay say are rare. At any given time, games will be listed as Rare that are fare from it. Also, remember that collectors usually want boxed games; I don't buy jewel-case games anymore- and a boxed game can go for as much as 3-4x the price of a jewel-case-only game. Make sure you know the difference before you buy.

Incidentally, Fienepien was absolutely right about Reah & Liath. I will, groan!, admit that I was suckered into paying over twice as much for Reah as you can get it now (and I overpaid for Liath) about 2 years ago afterwhich it did seem as though someone came across a warehouse full of them!

Last edited by SirDave; 06-03-2005 at 03:29 PM.