View Single Post
Old 06-02-2005, 04:23 PM   #81
samIamsad
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
There was pixel hunting in 1987?
I was talking today with someone one a German adventure gaming board about traditional elements in adventure games. That guy said that pixel hunting is a feature, a new element brought to adventure games by Runaway and the likes, and that future titles could implement it to..... adventure gamer's delight. I. Shit. You. Not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
I did read the PM you sent me. I didn't get a chance to reply but I got the sentiment contained in your PM and appreciate it.
I'm sure I'll give Still Life a shot some time. The story and some of the visuals seem to be pretty interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Which, I think, is a good part of the reason why adventure games have declined in popularity. It's very possible to create an exciting game without the requisite action, violence, etc., but it doesn't seem to be happening just yet. Maybe there are lots of people out there waiting for it to happen. I for one, would love for it to happen.

Me, too. Maybe it's going to happen this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens

Also, we should remember that conventions like point-&-click were products of the technological limitations of years ago. What would have happened if direct control interfaces were already available in 1987? What if Myst had taken advantage of it? How would that have informed our preferences as gamers?
I'm currently playing that latest Larry game... The interface is pretty good. WASD for movement plus mouse look for, well looking around, just like in a FPS game. While the game isn't really great (repetitive mini-games ), it's nevertheless pretty fun to roam around Larry's student apartment, talk to people and examine all the small details they put into that game. All brought to life in pretty colourful 3D. But perhaps it's again not a question of interfaces/technology and whatever, but of implementation. I don't know... However, looking for hot spots can really go straight to Dullsville. And did.

Last edited by samIamsad; 06-02-2005 at 05:04 PM.