View Single Post
Old 06-02-2005, 03:32 PM   #64
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsez
Fantasia was Walt's ultimate achievement, and it was what he'd been working towards for years prior to actually making it. Criticizing the artistic merits of Disney without seeing Fantasia is like criticizing Francis Ford Coppola without having seen The Godfather.
Even if I watched Fantasia and absolutely loved it, that would still only be one out of Lord knows how many Disney cartoons I've seen. So I don't think it wouldn't really change my opinion of Disney in general.

Although, a purely musical film probably would be perfect for Disney. They get to focus on the music and animation that they do so well without having to worry about the things that they suck at, like "writing."

Quote:
Chrono Trigger springs to mind, if only because the death scene was actually pulled off well (although that game wimped out by allowing an optional ressurection). Final Fantasy IV also had some good death scenes.
I don't think characters who come back to life really count. And the deaths in FF4 were pretty good, but I don't know if you can really call them "major" characters. If I recall correctly, most of them were only in the party for short periods of time. It wasn't as though any of the characters that we actually cared about died.

Quote:
The whole time loop thing is actually pretty standard time travel stuff. And really, that was the basis of the very first Final Fantasy as well.
Yeah, I know that. I didn't mean the time loop. I just meant the way they approached it in general. As time travel stories go, I'd definitely say it's one of the best. Hell, I didn't even know it WAS a time travel story until about halfway through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Yeah, that's definitely the Square method. Have you tried many RPGs by other companies or... See, a lot of RPGs are designed to sort of keep you at around the same level as your opponents unless you want to spend days or even weeks levelling, while even then you might not defeat the boss because you lack the right combination of classes, etc. I enjoy the way the Dragon Quest games work. You make a lot of choices and use a lot of strategy to defeat the bosses.
Yes, I've played other RPGs. I have yet to come across a problem in any RPG where leveling up isn't the solution.

mag