View Single Post
Old 06-02-2005, 09:02 AM   #34
samIamsad
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
The difference is that Doom 3 and many other games are not generally penalized for it by mainstream press. If they do what they TRY to do well, then all is forgiven.

Isn't that what the reviewer's saying? "Still Life as a game doesn't live fully up to its premise, but still may be worth a look." Plus, he's talking about "Slavish dedication to (genre) convention". From what I've read and seen about Still Life thus far, that *might* be true. There's a difference between that and "making the best out of a genre's potential". It's just his opinion, there's still plenty of pretty good scores on the web.

I partially agree with fov about Still Life appealing to quite a few people, though. In my book, at least it's the only current game that might attract a wider audience. Not because it's an adventure game/interactive movie/blah-blah, and especially not if a "slavish dedication to convention" actually hurts the game. No. Because of the story's premise. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the game does a better job of telling that story than Gamespot's review suggests...

Last edited by samIamsad; 06-02-2005 at 09:37 AM.