Thread: Runaway 2
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2005, 06:24 AM   #16
Jackal
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
As a preview, it's publicity therefore critical marketing for a future game. Sorry 'bout that! If the preview takes the word illogical as a keystone in the gameplay, it doesn't really bode too well for those that didn't enjoy the first one. I apologise if it came across that I was referring to the article as a straight piece of marketing.
Emily addressed that point excellently. Our job - as press - is to call the game as we see it. NOT to pimp it in the best possible light. And yes, it probably DOESN'T bode well for people that disliked the puzzles in the first. That was the entire point, and that's the very reason for my "defensiveness". The implication is that, as a marketing pawn, we should have used only our rose-coloured pen in describing the game.

Even so, I still say that referring to a comic adventure as having illogical puzzles makes contextual sense to anyone familiar with the game style. It's like referring to "impossible physics" in a cartoon. It's not a negative; simply something understood in context.

Quote:
Even so, a preview is marketing in the eyes of the publishers and investors, which is why they're used. It's all controlled-condition stuff.
I'm sure publishers would love to use press for that purpose. But never confuse their agenda with ours. Again, that was the very reason for my raising this distinction. They can show us the material, but they don't get to dictate how we present it.