Thread: Runaway 2
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2005, 06:11 AM   #15
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Any article and information supplied by a site IS in a sense, marketing for a game unless it contains relevant journalistic information obtained by playing it. It's not association, it's a form of marketing when the info is provided to you by the developer.
I'm also puzzled by the suggestion that dtp or Pendulo is marketing their game poorly. I played a demo of the game during which Chris Kellner basically stood back and let me go at it. My observation was that one of the early puzzles was quirky and illogical, just like they were in the first game - and frankly, I enjoyed the puzzles in the first game. If the word "illogical" is unclear to people who didn't play the first game, I apologize for that, but I think anyone who did play the first game probably knows what type of puzzle I'm talking about - and it's fair warning. From what I saw, the puzzles in the sequel are comparable to the puzzles in the original... why is it bad to say this out loud? Since when is it a journalist's responsibility to pimp a game to people who may not enjoy it?

I was not handed a fact sheet that said "This game has illogical puzzles." In fact, I was not handed a fact sheet at all. ALL of my observations about Runaway 2 are based on my experience watching the intro movie and playing a segment of the game. So, if you're saying it was a poor choice for dtp or Pendulo to allow a reputable adventure gaming site to preview their game... well, obviously, I disagree.

Quote:
Why so defensive? I really liked the article!
C'mon, if someone suggested that you were in bed with a publisher or developer based on something you wrote, you wouldn't be a tad defensive?

It may not have been the intention, but it sort of came across that way.

btw - I didn't say the puzzle wasn't fun. It was, especially the animations involved. Apparently "illogical" has a negative connotation for some people, but when you're dealing with a world that's illogical - a world where a trio of drag queens in the desert turn out to be some of your best allies - the game's skewed logic takes on its own charm. At least, it did for me.

Last edited by fov; 05-31-2005 at 06:16 AM.