View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 10:55 AM   #32
JoeX111
Quixotic

Send a message via AIM to JoeX111 Send a message via Yahoo to JoeX111

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
(In other words, next time I have dinner at a friend's house it's okay for me to grab a ring out of her jewelry box, as long as she doesn't notice it's gone?)
That's a pretty bad comparison. Forgive me if I'm being ignorant, but I would argue that there is a pretty big difference between distributing an intellectual property without permission and stealing a tangible physical object from someone's home. If someone broke into Company X and stole two dozen copies of Game Y and gave them out to people for free, that is rather different from just making copies of and distributing Game Y from your own master copy. Still illegal? Yes, but the crime is rather different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
If HOTU is so noble, why don't they contact the copyright owners and ask for permission BEFORE putting a game up for download?
I didn't say they were noble. I just said that I like their policies above those of other sites that would just upload the game regardless of whether or not the developers were still selling it on the market. It isn't perfect, but it is a far cry more than most of the other sites on the internet do. If you'd like more in-depth information about how HOTU conducts their affairs, perhaps you should email them and ask, seeing as how I don't run the bloody site.

Otherwise, I'd have to agree with the statements made by Insane_Cobra.