View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 05:38 AM   #16
pinkgothic
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

... there are people that consider Star Wars sci-fi? o_o

*reads a couple of posts*

... there are people HERE that consider Star Wars sci-fi? o_@

Seriously, though, I consider Star Wars fantasy. The technology isn't anywhere near the focus of the story [or if it is, I missed it], magic is far more important ('The Force'). If it's really a wide-spread opinion that Star Wars is sci-fi, then I can understand why one would complain that it is sort of "bastardizing" the genre, though that's not Star Wars or Lucas doing that, it's the people who watch it and label it that.

So I don't find the article paticularily credible.

For the record, I neither hate nor love Star Wars. It's a movie, and it's way too much fantasy for my proper liking, but the technical aspects were awesome and some of the ideas were very cool. Still, it all balances out and so the movie will never be on my top-movies-of-all-time list, nor on a worst-movies-ever list.

I have to agree that it's good to give the franchise a rest, though, after so many years. Not because it's damaging anything (regardless if it is or not), but simply because. It's hard to define why I think so - perhaps because I think it'll make a better impression if it gets wrapped up nicely and turns into a well 'digestable' package. FYI, I'm serious, not sarcastic. I think that would be good. I'd appreciate that anyway.

I loved Sky Captain. Probably because the movie succeeded (in my eyes) to be what it was trying to be: Pretty. As opposed to that, Star Wars was (in my eyes) always trying to be deeply meaningful, and that just never came across (as in, beyond the intention). Oh well.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™