View Single Post
Old 05-01-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Personally, I like the 'Joseph Campbell school' of storytelling about the archetypal hero's journey, it never gets tiring. You seem that in all sorts of mythology from all sorts of cultures, past and present, from the Bible to Native American fables to The Matrix.

It's just that I think George Lucas sucks at this kind of storytelling through his directorship. He's a weak director, and resorts to black and white stereotypes and stock elements, reducing the whole thing to a typical Saturday morning cartoon romp when it has so much potential for great depth. Instead, we get the f#&king annoying Jar Jar Binks.

And on that I do agree with Richard K. Morgan and Ray Bradbury and the others, it's time to move on. Seriously, even though I'm not a fan of the genre, the last sci-fi movie I found intriguing was Gattaca.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien