Thread: Religion.
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2005, 07:20 AM   #13
Sage
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Brilliant quote, Jazhara. Unfortunately, people keep trying to mess with my plate. Example:
Many years ago I worked as a bartender and shared a house with three other guys. I would usually get home at around three am, and since my housemates all had more-or-less normal 9-to-5 jobs, I was the only person at home during the day.
Somehow, our house became a target-household for the local coven (?) of Jehovah's Witnesses.
Around 9 am every day, the doorbell would ring. My rooms were above the front porch, so seeing who was at the door involved finding pants and a shirt, and going from my bedroom down the upstairs hall, down the stairs, through the kitchen, through the dining room, and through the living room to the front door.
I started off by telling the JWs politely that I was not interested, and that I worked nights and slept during the day, and asking them not to ring my doorbell before 5 pm. They apologized for waking me, and left.
The next day at 9 am, the doorbell rang. Same scenario, different JWs. I was less polite this time.
I put a flourescent "Day Sleeper-Do Not Disturb" sign in the front window. Next day, same scenario, different JWs.
A friend of mine, upon hearing of my sleep deprived plight, told me that if you told JWs that you were Jewish they'd leave you alone. I tried this once, and it didn't work. Next day, same scenario, different JWs.
At this point, I had given up all pretence of politeness and would just say "I'm not interested!" and slam the door in their faces. Each day, same scenario, different JWs.
Finally, as the doorbell rang one morning at 9 am, I had had enough. I got up, did not put on pants or a shirt, went down the upstairs hall, down the stairs, through the kitchen, through the dining room, and through the living room room to the front door stark naked. I threw the door open wide and said "Good morning! What can I do for you today?". The surprised JWs blushed and mumbled "Uh, nothing, sir. We'll...uh...come back some other time,". "Nonsense!" I replied. "Come on in! I'll put on a pot of coffee! Have a seat!" I stepped back, gave them a profile view, and gestured toward the couch invitingly. Without another word, the blushing JWs turned and left at a brisk pace.
We never got visited by JWs after that, and I finally got some sleep.

Thrifty

Share the love.

<3