View Single Post
Old 04-04-2005, 10:50 PM   #97
Fairygdmther
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG
Well I was equating it to visibility. For the mainstream when one thinks of adventure games they think of Myst or well almost any LA game.

To be perfectly honest you're right, I dont see any games cloning MI on any level. Then again what are we talking about? I assumed any point and click, 3rd person character adventure, such as Broken Sword or Runaway were MI equivalents in gameplay. And any pseudo-first-person non-character games with purely puzzle challenges were of the Myst or 7th Guest category. Generalizing like that, its easy to fit most games into one of these two major categories.

Now to talk of MI's bold flair and humor and wonderful animation, no, no game has come close IMHO. Myst, again, is a game I just never found special, so trying not to appear biased, but I dont think its a great stretch to see how many adventures are very similar in their drab prerendered backdrops and derivative mental challenges. Perhaps I've been led askew by my own ignorance, but this is what I see on the surface ( I never professed to play ALL adventure games, as I'm more for the colorful characters and stories ). I'm sure certain games(like you mentioned) have specific qualities being overlooked, but its not intentional, I mean, on some level this conversation IS about the mainstream perception, so think of how these games might look from the outside looking in.

BTW, I animated on Law and Order for Legacy Interactive, the first one if I recall, though briefly then my girlfriend took over.

Cheers
If you think "mainstream" adv gamers live for the MI next in line - then you need to go to JA+ or GB, both of which are much larger sites than this is and see just how rarely these games are even mentioned. Myst clone is often, though, but true Myst clones are not as numerous as would at first seem. Rhem, Aura, Alida, the Atlantis series, most of the Egypt ones, in fact most of The Adventure Company ones, would be in this category. But the ones I call the fantasy series - TLJ, Syberia I & II, JttCotE, RtMI, Amerzone (though 1st person) are definitely not of this type. Nor are all the detective, horror, ghost, etc. And while you may not consider them "mainstream", someone out there is buying these games. Perhaps you need to broaden your concept here.

FGM-Lyn