View Single Post
Old 04-04-2005, 09:39 PM   #95
Fairygdmther
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

I've seen in forums where some will say "I only play 1st person games", and others will say, "I only play 3rd person games". In this forum there seems to be a preponderance of Sierra and LA gamers. And I'm seeing the complaint about Myst vs MI clones, as if there aren't any other games out there. What about TLJ? What category does this fall into? Surely TLJ, Syberia I & II, JttCotE, Return to Mysterious Island, all 3rd person games can't possibly be put into the same category as MI clones. And Amerzone, though 1st person, feels more like Syberia than a Myst game. And what about Faust? Or the horror/ghost sub-genre - surely you don't consider them Myst-clones? I suppose that Timelapse should be considered a pre-Myst clone? And Obsidian, while at first glance could be considered a Myst clone, is such a unique game, it doesn't fit into any category. What about Sanitarium, who's that copying?

And what about the detective type - Post Mortem, CSI. Law & Order, Sherlock Holmes games, Ripper, Jack the Ripper, or the ND series? Don't you think you're taking the "clones of clones" theory too far? Or is it the games you like fall into only Myst or MI categories?

There will always be unique games like In Memoriam/Missing that won't fit into any categories. But give it a break guys, Myst or MI just aren't going to do it to categorize all adv games.

FGM-Lyn

Last edited by Fairygdmther; 04-04-2005 at 09:47 PM.