View Single Post
Old 04-04-2005, 07:30 PM   #94
EvoG
FlipFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
The - compared to other genres - rather strong emphasis on story and characterization is another "weakness" of the genre. At the moment. Why? I don't think it's that much of a secret that the gaming industry in general lacks capable writers. I don't say that they don't exist. I only say they are few and far between at best. And it most obviously shows in games with heavy emphasis on plot and characters. For some, like adventure games perhaps even in terms of quality of puzzle design and their integration into the gaming experience.

Which is another reason for less story focused games...action is easier to create, as its something tangible and hands on when prototyping, and most importantly consistent. Once the gameplay works (driving, shooting, platforming) its a matter of putting together interesting levels to have said gameplay occur on and boom, you can have a pretty decent game. AG's require the story work and stay strong from start to finish, and thats a challenge especially when the entire point of the game is its story.