View Single Post
Old 04-04-2005, 06:11 PM   #84
EvoG
FlipFrame

*snip*
Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Although some rare gems have been released in recent years, it seems that most adventure games want to be “just like Monkey Island” or “just like Myst”."
*snip*
Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
I would go further into this and say, that the hardcore fan base of adventure games almost forces developers to just come up with the next clone of a clone of a clone. Devs listening to the crowd a little bit to much (?) in fear of alienating their core audience.

You know its possible that our game could be considered a clone, as its true, AG gamer's know what they want, and when it comes down to it, there are really only two major types of AG's...the Lucasarts type and the Myst type. Now referencing what Intrepid and I said about clones a few pages back, I dont see this as a bad thing, but if gamers are going to say they want more adventure games only to turn around and say they're not innovative or fresh, and are merely clones of what came before, it makes it a vicious circle that many developers just don't bother with.

As it is this is not my view...more of the same when the same is good, is perfectly fine. What makes one AG different from another is the story. Same for books, same for movies. Our game is nothing like Monkey Island(and CERTAINLY NOTHING like Myst on any level!! ) but will obviously share conventions with it...but then again those are the same conventions in dozens of games...so am I a clone?

Will I be derailed scared off by the a raging Catch22.tm?!

Cheers