View Single Post
Old 04-03-2005, 07:54 PM   #43
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG
You're right, though it is about the money to some degree, but not entirely. A better way to put it would be that when the designer cares about his game first, and the money second, you'll get a better product. In my case if I wanted only money, I'd get a job at a major animation studio and be done with it with a 9 - 5 job(figuratively speaking). We all need money to live, and if I can get away with making enough money to do just that while doing what I love most, then its win win. EA on the other hand is ONLY about the money, 100%.
Heh, someone has to pay the rent/mortgage, car insurance, groceries, utility bills, health insurance........and also be able to actually enjoy living.

Quote:
So you like the state of AG's now though they can be better? What if said state included more solid games like Lucasarts or Sierra gave us? Wouldn't that be even better? As it is, the only adventure game in the past few years...well no, since GF, that I've been genuinely interested in was Wanted, and I just didn't jive with the story or acting in the demo(that and that terrible slowdown when examining items). I recently started up TLJ but got a tad bored...and am now play BASS(awkward dialogue at times but interesting nonetheless, and it desperately needs either running or quick exit). Otherwise it all appears to be Myst clones. Drab, dreary prerendered Myst clones, and I think I'm the only person on Earth who doesn't care for Myst. I understand Syberia was terribly successful but I didn't see the appeal(seriously someone tell me why it seems everyone bought that game). I plan to fire it up again to make sure it isn't simply a slow starter...but boy, I wonder.
Well, somebody has to say it: ADVENTURE GAMES RIGHT NOW ARE FREAKING BORING AS HELL. There, now I feel better . Rather, they're boring to the average non-fan. I loved Syberia (I have my reasons ), but even then there were times when I would just stare at the screen and say, "Goddamn, isn't there anything else besides that one hotspot I can interact with?" As is, many of these kinds of games make me feel as if I'm seeing their worlds through glass. There's something missing.....that sense of immediacy, of involvement, a sense of dynamic....
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien