View Single Post
Old 04-03-2005, 07:36 PM   #40
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
I don't know about you guys, but I kind of like the state of the AG market. I mean, look at FPS, I love them sure, but I can admit that only about 2 of every 10 are worth playing. The market is just rushed with things put out to make a quick buck. To me, if somebody makes an adventure game, it's not about money, but that they care about what they're doing.
If it's not about money then why are there a crapload of mediocre to bad Myst clones? Obviously the publishers are trying to cash in on a highly successful, ten year old style of game.

Quote:
I think that tends to yeild better games. Not always, but mostly the case. If AG's were to become highly popular, we would just get a bunch of junk that would tarnish the name of adventure games.
Only if the industry continues to behave the way they behave now. Remember that at the time of its release in 1993, Myst had absolutely no equals in its level of polish, beauty, and ease of use. Now is it Cyan's fault that other publishers and developers since then have been churning out unoriginal titles that 'just happens' to look like Myst? Same thing with the Grand Theft Auto series and other games that were considered progressive or innovative for their time and made lots of money.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 04-03-2005 at 07:44 PM.