View Single Post
Old 04-03-2005, 06:26 PM   #37
EvoG
FlipFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Unfortunately it's also hampered by limited budgets so an indie dev has to stretch his creative resources using whatever technology he can afford.
The most time consuming thing to do is the art and animation. Fortunately THAT won't be an amateur endeavour so I'm pretty confident we can do right by you guys. My biggest problem with the 'indie' scene has been the apparently low production values, not necessarily by choice, but as you say, sometimes certain resources are just not available. However you look at it, fortunately or unfortunately, and though a good game great graphics do not make, it is a fact that great art can overcome a LOT to attract people to the product, whereas a great story is never realised unless the player gives the game a chance, especially in the face or poor art production. No different than the pretty girl with a crappy attitude versus a less pretty girl with a terrific personality; its just another part of how are brains are wired(or brainwashed if you like). If a great story happens to be attached to those great graphics, then you have something special, as ultimately, it IS a visual medium.

Quote:
And more commonly, many indie games end up being clones of already available mediocre commercial games, which themselves are bland clones of better quality and more exciting games.
Yup, though this arrangement is commonplace amonst all genres, its only AG's can't afford it as it is now, the genre is weakened. We need only the best of the best at this stage to draw in the audiences.

Quote:
The KoTOR series is not critically acclaimed for stunning graphics. It is, however, acclaimed for those things that great adventure games have historically been known for.
I've said this many many times on other forums and very much agree. Like I said, I think you and I share a common bond with our foundness for what KotoR is and what other games, if similar, could become.

Cheers