View Single Post
Old 04-03-2005, 05:36 PM   #34
samIamsad
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG
Most 3D games are fairly non-interactive when the general game world is concerned, so one of my proposals is to give AG's an edge with overall world interactivity.
That's true. Perhaps it's just me, but to me it seems that most - if not all - recently released adventure games offer less interactivity than older ones did. In games like "Black Mirror" there are all these nice, drawn backgrounds with very, very few things to do (=lack of hotspots). If you take a look at the old Lucas Arts games, they weren't just about the story, as lots of nowadays adventure games seem to be. They were even moreso about the actual *gameplay*. Lots of puzzles that actually fitted into the gaming worlds and were fun to solve. Plus lots of things to do (exploration, dialogues that gave hints to the puzzles(!)). Or the ones from Sierra, where you could examine *everything* shown on screen.

Quote:

I'll say one thing I do like that is completely missing from AG's, are 'bonus' inventory items.
Red herrings? (just kiddin')

Quote:
Whereas I love being rewarded for exploring in an area off the story path and receiving a special item or ability that may allow me to do something I'd otherwise have to pass up later in the game, or allow me to have an advantage. The player is then encouraged to really look around the world to see what they find, but isn't necessary if they simply want to charge through the story.
In "Gabriel Knight 3" you could do some optional things that weren't required to solve the game, but rewarded you with better insight onto what's going on in the story. You had to pay some attention to notice them, of course. It worked well.

Quote:

Lastly, if you haven't gathered by now, I'm a HUGE proponent of realtime 3D worlds. Hell I'm struggling not to make our game simply 3rd person direct control, for fear of alienating the AGer that thinks then that its another Tomb Raider or RE4 (though this isn't a bad thing, but I do want to sell my game and a core demographic is too valuable to misguide).
Yes, that's rather sad. The core demographic is the curse of the genre. I'd really like so see an adventure game in 3d. First person perspective. And so on. One that actually takes advantage of 3d technology even in terms of puzzle design, control (direct control instead of point&click).. That "new" technology allows you to actually *be* the game's character. It is just more immersive than the "old" p&c one which did a good job putting the player into gaming worlds *before* the advent of 3d graphics. But now... I can see one of the many reasons why many casual gamers aren't that keen on trying adventure games. Oh, I haven't tried URU yet.

Last edited by samIamsad; 04-03-2005 at 05:43 PM.