View Single Post
Old 04-03-2005, 05:22 PM   #33
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther
Where indies shine, however is in innovative and creative approaches to games.
But it's very dependent on the vision, creativity, and resourcefulness of the designer. Indie games have the advantage of being free of the constraints brought on by investors wanting to make as much money off the game as possible while keeping costs to a minimum (just like in any business). Unfortunately it's also hampered by limited budgets so an indie dev has to stretch his creative resources using whatever technology he can afford.

Sometimes if he has a great new idea for gameplay - for example, an adventure game that uses A.I. as an integral part of puzzles - it may not be possible given that he can't afford to realize it. And more commonly, many indie games end up being clones of already available mediocre commercial games, which themselves are bland clones of better quality and more exciting games.

Quote:
Like Trep, for me the primary element in adv games is the story. I can live with less than terrific graphics, or even simple puzzles (challenges), but it must have an engrossing story. And I love the exploration part as well. I wish you luck on your endeavor, and hope your past experience can get you through the frustrating parts. Please keep us up to date on your progress.
The KoTOR series is not critically acclaimed for stunning graphics. It is, however, acclaimed for those things that great adventure games have historically been known for.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien