View Single Post
Old 04-03-2005, 05:10 PM   #32
Fairygdmther
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Sorry to make my post confusing. Cable IS Broadband. I was making the point that even though I'm NOT off the beaten path, and live in a very populous neighborhood, Cable is MY only choice. And believe me, I've tried to get away from this cable company. Yet only a few miles from me are those who can't even get cable. Broadband capability is simply not keeping up with demand.

Addressing what SamIamsad says - Tim Schafer recently commented about this in what he called density of interaction. It would seem that the more detailed the backgrounds, pre-rendered or real-time, the less interaction in the area for the player. (note Syberia I&II). The adv game developers are reluctant to attempt 3D. Detalion's MJII and Sentinel, and URU are the only ones that come to mind. URU's interface was not intuitive, and many had trouble navigating, with jumps and camera angles. I haven't played Sentinel, but I found MJII very easy to navigate with, using only a mouse. The game itself wasn't anything to write home about, but I do have to give them credit for accomplishing a workable 3D interface for adv games. I can't see how an indie developer could possibly reach this level of design on a shoestring budget.

Where indies shine, however is in innovative and creative approaches to games. Like Trep, for me the primary element in adv games is the story. I can live with less than terrific graphics, or even simple puzzles (challenges), but it must have an engrossing story. And I love the exploration part as well. I wish you luck on your endeavor, and hope your past experience can get you through the frustrating parts. Please keep us up to date on your progress.

FGN-Lyn