View Single Post
Old 04-03-2005, 05:03 PM   #31
EvoG
FlipFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
The main problem is that the level of interactivity just isn't there in the now pretty old point&click formula. For gamers clicking on 3-4 hotspots on pretty drawn but static 2d screens just isn't enough in times where detailed 3d worlds are popular.
Yup, agree entirely (as outlined in my very first post). Though interactivity and "3D" dont go hand in hand. Most 3D games are fairly non-interactive when the general game world is concerned, so one of my proposals is to give AG's an edge with overall world interactivity. Instead of the meager 3 or 4 hotspots, many world-elements should have some level of interaction if if just a fun animation of the character 'using' the element. One of the big joys in the Sims is seeing how they interact with furniture and such. Since AG's are slower paced games, lets up the amount of things to do, unlike a shooter where it might get lost on the player rushing ahead.

I'll say one thing I do like that is completely missing from AG's, are 'bonus' inventory items. For the most part, everything you collect is used on something to further the story and get you into the next location. Whereas I love being rewarded for exploring in an area off the story path and receiving a special item or ability that may allow me to do something I'd otherwise have to pass up later in the game, or allow me to have an advantage. The player is then encouraged to really look around the world to see what they find, but isn't necessary if they simply want to charge through the story.

Lastly, if you haven't gathered by now, I'm a HUGE proponent of realtime 3D worlds. Hell I'm struggling not to make our game simply 3rd person direct control, for fear of alienating the AGer that thinks then that its another Tomb Raider or RE4 (though this isn't a bad thing, but I do want to sell my game and a core demographic is too valuable to misguide).

Cheers