View Single Post
Old 04-03-2005, 03:18 PM   #23
Fairygdmther
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG
Turn-based combat though? It requires zero dexterity, and is arguablly a combat puzzle. Sure contextually you're in battle, akin to an action game, but you're not actively using your dexterity to defeat the opponent, but rather your mind (tactics and strategy). What makes this 'puzzle' any less worthy than one where you push tiles around to complete a mural?

Perhaps I need to be a bit more blunt; I am currently developing a tried and true point and click graphic adventure game, with all the tech you could want and exploiting my teams artistic ability, as as I said, we do this professionally in the industry right this moment. It will be completely story and character driven with extensive high quality animation and tons of world interactivity. I'm toying with including both cinema-cam's and free-direct control-cam's, so you can get an old schoold Lucasarts experience or a more KotoR, if you will, experience. I'm specifically asking you and anyone reading here:

Would you buy a graphic adventure exclusively online , that you would then download?

One of the more significant ways I can conceivably beat the odds against us developing an AG is the distribution hurdle and associated costs. Near identical to Spiderweb Games method, their customers support them completely through online distribution. Valve has done this with some success, but no figures I can find are available. So they are of course a start, but not conclusive because the system isn't exclusive...people are still purchasing it brick-and-motar.

If the community can support AG developers through online distribution exclusively, you're helping open that window, so developers like myself can create some quality product without as much risk of getting crushed under the heels of giants. Its one thing for us to speculate over and over why the genre has died or faded or is commercially unsuccessful. Its another to offer solutions and support developers that may want to try new avenues of distribution which will only encourage more AG's getting developed.

Cheers
While this has been discussed here before, I realize you are new and probably haven't seen the discussions.

1. Not everyone has Broadband, many still have only dial-up connections. And for many who live just off the beaten path, it is unavailable (except for satellite, which is expensive, and requires a dial-up for uploading). Even where I live, in Sarasota, in a suburban area, right near a major road, I am unable to get anything but Cable (or Satellite - but DSL, and wireless aren't an option). A long d'load is ridiculous for anyone with dial-up.

2. Having a disc copy makes it easy to load in a second PC - and for me that's an necessary option - PC's die - how will we be able to re-d'load it without paying twice? If a d'load is corrupted, will we have to pay twice to d'load it again?

3. There have been several indies who have sold discs from their websites, and have done quite well with it. Adv gaming sites are quite friendly to indies, and the interest is definitely there to purchase games directly from developers.

4. Another issue you didn't bring up, yet has been discussed, is the serial game. Gamers are leery of buying a game in parts, fearing that it will never be completed, and that they will pay a great deal over time for one game in serial parts.

I admire your attempt to bypass the publishers. You will have more creative license, more income from the game, and a lot of less grief to deal with. Self distribution is a hassle, but you will get more sales that way, by discussing the game at adv gaming sites, than the slipshod way publishers market adv games. I seriously hope you don't choose only a d'load approach. From what I've seen on other sites in discussion, you may cut your purchasers in half by doing so.

FGM-Lyn