View Single Post
Old 04-03-2005, 02:52 PM   #21
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG
Turn-based combat though? It requires zero dexterity, and is arguablly a combat puzzle. Sure contextually you're in battle, akin to an action game, but you're not actively using your dexterity to defeat the opponent, but rather your mind (tactics and strategy). What makes this 'puzzle' any less worthy than one where you push tiles around to complete a mural?
I don't have a problem with that, and I'm sure a lot of other 'non-typical' gamers wouldn't as well. However, many adventure game fans may and wouldn't be interested in any kind of combat. How do you address them? Do you even want to address them? Your call. Ironically, often times it's the genre's biggest fans who can be the worst detractors when you want to try something new.

Quote:
Perhaps I need to be a bit more blunt; I am currently developing a tried and true point and click graphic adventure game, with all the tech you could want and exploiting my teams artistic ability, as as I said, we do this professionally in the industry right this moment. It will be completely story and character driven with extensive high quality animation and tons of world interactivity. I'm toying with including both cinema-cam's and free-direct control-cam's, so you can get an old schoold Lucasarts experience or a more KotoR, if you will, experience. I'm specifically asking you and anyone reading here:

Would you buy a graphic adventure exclusively online , that you would then download?

One of the more significant ways I can conceivably beat the odds against us developing an AG is the distribution hurdle and associated costs. Near identical to Spiderweb Games method, their customers support them completely through online distribution. Valve has done this with some success, but no figures I can find are available. So they are of course a start, but not conclusive because the system isn't exclusive...people are still purchasing it brick-and-motar.
Of COURSE I would want to buy it and download it online. But first, as the consumer, I require you to give me an excellent game for my money, as well as consistent tech support, customer service, and reliability of that service. Also, depending on the scale of your operations, it's inevitable that some people may be left out - those with limited internet connection and possibly less current systems to run the game. It depends, really. Personally, I would just ignore that potential market and concentrate instead on those who do have high speed internet and relatively current systems. With the internet technology diversifying, steadily reaching more remote locations, and getting cheaper, eventually you'll be able tap new markets.

But who exactly are you making your games for? Hardcore adventurers? Mainstream gamers who like to dabble? Everyone? How do you plan on marketing it? How do you lure people in? The adventure game genre has the worst marketing, imo, and they really need a major rehaul.

Quote:
If the community can support AG developers through online distribution exclusively, you're helping open that window, so developers like myself can create some quality product without as much risk of getting crushed under the heels of giants. Its one thing for us to speculate over and over why the genre has died or faded or is commercially unsuccessful. Its another to offer solutions and support developers that may want to try new avenues of distribution which will only encourage more AG's getting developed.
You have to make a truly incredible game to start, and then make as many people as possible notice it, otherwise it's worthless. The gaming press, mainstream media, and even gamers themselves won't look in your general direction. I think you need a very aggressive and creative PR and marketing, and again, it depends on who you're making the game for.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien