Thread: AGS vs SLUDGE
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2005, 01:54 AM   #80
Trumgottist
Game Creator Hobbyist

I don't have enough experience with the other engines to really compare them, but this is what I can say about Sludge in those areas:

Stability: Never had any problems in that area, and it has a very solid "feel" to it.

Speed: Would need comparisions to really say anything. Seems good, though.

Ease of use: I find it very easy to use, but since it's scripting based it shouldn't be hard to find people who disagree.

Extra features: Don't know enough about the current state of the other engines to know what features are extra. Things like lightmaps and fading screens are pretty much standard now, aren't they? I like the ability to use MO3 music - that may be a Sludge-unique feature?

Community: Small but friendly. We're probably the least engine-centered community. Off topic talk practically doesn't exist at the Sludge forum. Typical Sludgers are Erwin who run Adventure Developers and me who run The Crow's Nest. I don't think anyone is ever left standing without technical help at the Sludge forum, but don't go there for artistic discussions. (AD and TCN, - maybe this forum, too - are better suited for that. I'd like to see more general discussion move off engine forums to the general sites.)