View Single Post
Old 04-01-2005, 05:53 PM   #1
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Default What happened with the adventure game? And why?

This thread can be taken as a companion to bysmitty's poll thread, What do you feel is the current state of the adventure genre?

The way the adventure game genre 'chose' to 'evolve' versus how the games industry, technology, society, culture, and the world in general have been developing seems to be detrimental to the adventure game genre's livelihood and chance at flourishing. It's not dead at all, no. But it hasn't actually been largely alive and kicking, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
I remember that 10-15 years back, the gaming press covered adventures extensively, and I don't think the gaming population was any more mature back then (rather the opposite, I would believe).
So what happened? What do you think happened? Someone answer me this. WHAT HAPPENED? Why aren't adventure games consistently featured in the games media and mainstream media?

Why is the adventure game not a large cultural influence that Gran Turismo, Madden 2005, Halo 2, The Sims, Tony Hawk, Counter-Strike, and Half-Life 2 are? I mean, in an $11 billion dollar industry, where is there a place for adventure games?

In a 21st century world of:

* 7-year-olds with their own cell phones
* very young kids being introduced to gaming by their dads
* video game makers signing big league contracts
* aging Baby Boomers who are computer savvy and have lots of disposable income and time
* more older people learning computers and the internet
* computer use by mainstream people increasing at great speed
* ideas for family-friendly fun in games
* and other things happening culturally, socially, and politically

- what has the adventure game done to change, adapt, and otherwise take advantage of?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien