View Single Post
Old 03-31-2005, 02:43 PM   #239
Ninth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
I think from a pure story standpoint you're really comparing apples and oranges. That's like saying "I'd pick Chinatown over Back to the Future" or something.

You seem to be exclusively listing stories that are "deep" and "emotional" (quotes very intentional) or at best "dark" and what I'm inferring from that is that you're simply marking "deep" "emotional" and "dark" stories as "good," while marking lighthearted possibly silly ones as "lame" and "weak."
Not really. I really like Monkey Island's story, which is quite complex, even though it's really light, but DOTT's story felt non-important to me.
And since there aren't any recent light games worth mentioning (I hate the Westerner, and didn't like Runaway that much, I only picked dark titles because that's what they do nowadays. Of course, that in itself (that there are almost exclusively dark titles) is quite bad.
Oh, and irony aside, I do think that newer stories are deeper than older ones, on the whole, by which I mean more convoluted, more cinematic, more fun.