View Single Post
Old 03-31-2005, 01:41 PM   #208
Udvarnoky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien
What's Dott about? Purple Tentacle drinks polluted water, goes insane and wants to rule the world. Go back in time and take care of the water. That's it. The rest is puzzles and loads of fun. That's not much, compared to the long and complicated stories of the black mirror and moment of silence.
Don't you think you're dumbing down the story just a tad? It's like you're ignoring the fact that a lot of the game's puzzles themselves are important story elements, or that the "take care of the water" part is merely what's supposed to happen at the end. It's just as easy to summarize BM or MOS in an equally silly way, but I wouldn't insult them. Games can be wacky and weird and still have a great story. Even a simply story can be really good, but I wouldn't describe DOTT's story as such.

You also mention the original game as having not much of a story. Maniac Mansion was a about an Evil Purple Meteor that crashed into the front lawn of a weird family, causing the father/husband, a mad scientist, to become brainwashed and to try to take over the world by sucking out the brains of teenagers, individually by use of a machine called the Zomb-B-Matic in his basement laboratory. When Sandy Pantz is kidnapped by Dr. Fred it's up to Sandy's boyfriend Dave Miller and the rest of his college buddies to break into the house, rescue Sandy, free Dr. Fred of his possession, and save the world. And they do this by applying their individual talents and meeting a bunch of strange characters like Nurse Edna, Weird Ed, Purple Tentacle, and Green Tentacle. The kids can get aid from some of these residents in different ways, such as taking advantage of Ed's desire to save his father or Green Tentacle's dream of becoming a rock star. MM's story had a brilliant horror/scifi parody flavor to it that made it really enjoyable and fun. Just because the story doesn't unfold in some gorgeous, cinematic type way like, say, Grim Fandango, it's definitely there, and it is the point of the game. I'll also point outthat, even if it is deemed entirely subjective, it was the story that drew me to MM in the first place.