View Single Post
Old 03-30-2005, 11:14 PM   #163
Fairygdmther
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Have you read about Dreamfall at all? The first scene Zoe starts a fight and throws punches. Later on there is a male protagonist and he uses more violence than Zoe because he is a fighter. So is Dreamfall not an adventure then? Where was it set in stone that you shouldn't use violent means to achieve your goals in an adventure game. In lots of scenarios, violence is necessary to give the story more authenticity. And I'm not talking about violence like Devil May Cry or DOOM 3 where you shoot everything in site. No I'm talking about being in a scenario where the most plausible and realistic action to take is violence. For example, a police cop game is much more realistic if you get to shoot sometimes, because can you imagine the life of a police officer without shooting a single bullet. It all depends on the context of the games. That's why I like Trep's definition. It does not limit a designer in what can be induced in an adventure game, but it still captures the essence.
I've read a great deal about Dreamfall - have you missed the part where Ragnar Tornquist explains that you can avoid the violence by using evasion? If the example you gave of a cop were in a game, and had to shoot an occasional shot, but otherwise it would fit as an adv game, then it would be one of those exceptions that I referred to. If it were to be the premise of the game, however, I would consider it an action-adventure.

FGM