View Single Post
Old 03-30-2005, 01:13 AM   #30
Golan

Yeah, look at the puzzles in a game like monkey island. You have mini goals and macro goals. The monkey island puzzle structure usually goes like this...

Macro Problem "get a ship or whatever" needs solutions to, Problem 1, Problem 2, and Problem 3.
--------------------
"Problem 1" needs A, B, C
puzzle X1 = A
puzzle Y1 = B
puzzle Z1 = C
---------------------
repeat above for the other two.

What you get are a ton of things to do when you start. If you get stuck on one you can always come back and try it later. Most of the time you will have to do this because the puzzles for any of the problems could be intertwined with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Maybe it's just that many adventure games, commercial and underground, merely blindly follow the conventions without ever actually examining them very closely, critically, and constructively.

All too often it looks like this: story > puzzle > story > puzzle > story... There doesn't seem to be an organic structure to these games, if you know what I mean. They don't seem to follow a particular cohesiveness and even chaos, that we are accustomed to when we step out our front doors. And so they end up not only lacking cohesion, but also dimension. I feel like the games take me by the hand and lead me from point A to B, no questions asked.