Thread: AGS vs SLUDGE
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2005, 12:00 AM   #57
Kazmodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golan
From my original thread starting post...

"Let's remove the issue of any registration fees."
It's always an issue if you use either engine for making commercial games. Or did you just want to compare the two for strictly free games? The mention of a fee was an additional downside of SLUDGE rather than a deciding factor for me. That's why I also mentioned the 16-bit limitation, and that is why I said in my earlier reply that if it wasn't for its commercial license, I'd choose WME. Let's make it clear -- If SLUDGE didn't cost $50, I'd still choose AGS. Last but not least, I didn't want to make a separate topic called "AGS vs SLUDGE, fees included", and I did not want to be constrained by your "rule". I just cannot see anyone realistically not considering every factor, including the fees. Because if fees were removed, then a dedicated team of professional programmers from one of the top game development companies to write a custom engine for your game would be the best choice, IMO. But it definitely will cost. If you still insist on only AGS vs SLUDGE and nothing else, fees removed, then my choice is still AGS. The community is more active, the author is quite dedicated, and the site looks more professional (it used to look crap, yes). What does the site have to do with the engine? Shows a little more care and commitment to the engine and its community. I'm surprised that SLUDGE site still looks very umm, unappealing. (shrugs)

One more thing for clarification. I'm not an advocate of AGS at all, it has its share of problems, some people in the community aren't all that pleasant to talk to, there is still a group of them that I remember from way back in early AGS days that would say that you didn't need 3D backgrounds or characters, more than 320x200 res, or Windows editor. Luckily, they were finally "converted".

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolworthy
I think that registration fees are EXTREMELY irrelevant, unless (a) you live in a third world country, or (b) quality is not an issue, or (c) the engine of choice has no 'try before you buy' option.
That would imply that AGS wouldn't make quality games or that SLUDGE was a much better engine but that is simply not true. They are two VERY comparable engines, which makes SLUDGE a lot less attractive with $50US fee. Where you live is irrelevant, the point is that anything free beats everything non-free of comparable quality. Example? I think WME is much more "with the times" type of engine but in its case there isn't even a set fee but something rather vague, which is scary for commercial projects. Besides, doesn't SLUDGE cost $50US even for free games? Last time I tried it, it had a free version, which had limitations and/or "made with SLUDGE" nag-screen (or something similar), unless you paid $50 for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolworthy
If game engine 'A' allows you to speed up your work by just five percent, it will save you around two hundred dollars.
That's true. Production time and quality are more important than investments into the tools. Which is why it is never an issue for companies to hire dedicated programmers to write custom engines and tools for the designers of a game. The only time the cost becomes an issue is for amateur developers, especially if they want to attempt a commercial project. And since I don't see SLUDGE "much much" better than AGS, the fee is an issue, IMO. AGS also speeds up your work if you're not a good scripter and/or programmer, which some people saw as a downside.

Last edited by Kazmodan; 03-29-2005 at 12:30 AM.