View Single Post
Old 03-20-2005, 07:23 PM   #17
crabapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Usually I keep playing to find out what's next. And no matter how pre-set the story is, participating in the game to unfold the story has this distinct sense of achievement that I don't get in watching a movie.
You mean you don't want to know what happens next in a movie? I would think a movie (as long as it's a reasonably good movie that you don't want to walk out on in disgust) will make you want to stay to find out what's next.

There are other ways of wanting to "find out what's next" in a game that have nothing to do with story. Wanting to explore the environment, for example, to see if there are any surprising new landscapes over the hill or new rooms around the corner. But I think people have different ideas of what constitutes a "story." I've read forums where people think the exploration you do in Tomb Raider games is a story. To me, story and exploration are entirely different things.

One thing that article didn't do was ask the interviewees what they thought constituted a story. Is an "emergent story" really a story? Is setting up a scenario where the gamer can "write their own story" the same as telling a story? The article specifically mentioned "storytelling," which doesn't sound like the same thing as a "write your own story" to me.