View Single Post
Old 03-20-2005, 08:21 AM   #6
After a brisk nap
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
It's sad that there's so few great storytellers in gaming when that's really the main thing that people remember and makes an emotional impact whiilst playing. Everyones best moments evolve around stunning plot points, and very rarely do you hear gamers relay their experiences "getting that difficult headshot"!
Is that true? Slate writes:

Quote:
Today's games are strongest not when they're slavishly emulating cinema, but when they borrow from disciplines like urban design and architecture. Few of my friends got particularly jazzed about the story in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. But everyone raves about the open-ended environment—the hundreds of buildings you can enter, the dozens of souped-up cars you can jack, the fact that you can ignore the missions and just perform sick BMX stunts for a few hours. As a story, GTA is no Boyz n the Hood. But as a theme park? It's better than Disneyland.
And this is not the only time I've heard the argument made (indeed, Ken Levine says something similar in the article we're discussing). Thinking back, I think my top gaming memories are split just about equally between scripted story events and emergent story events.