View Single Post
Old 03-13-2005, 07:22 AM   #14
SamNMax

Quote:
Rap was only cool when the rap war was going on. The actual music's just ok but the violence was what made it cool back in the day.
That's a very close-minded comment.

Yes, I will say that too many bland rappers are flooding the market. But there are so many rappers that have made music what it is today. A lot of rappers are just annoying, ala 50 Cent (God knows what Shady/Aftermath was thinking when they signed him) and Chingy, whilst people like NWA and Tupac Shakur spoke to the young black Americans growing up in slums and ghettos across the country. These artists spoke to people and meant a lot. They've delivered much more inspiring and meaningful messages than any punk band ever did (Though, in all fairness, they've both got their own style. Sometimes, I like to put on Ice Cube to apprieciate what the man has done for music. And other times I like to rock out to the Romones).

Even before the East vs. West war, NWA, Ice Cube, and Dr. Dre were pumping out so many incredible songs. Even today, these people are working with other great rappers like Eminem and Lil' Jon and the East Side Boys. And in fact, I consider the "Deathrow vs. Bad Boy" war to be a terrible time for rap. What is so cool about gang wars, killing people because they were on the other side of the country. What's so cool about losing two of the greatest rappers of all time in the process? That's not cool, that's horrible.

Last edited by SamNMax; 03-13-2005 at 07:33 AM.