View Single Post
Old 03-08-2005, 10:45 PM   #23
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I don't feel a need to get married. Geoff and I already live in the same house, share the important things, don't have any plan or desire to have kids. We are legally domestic partners, and each other's power of attorney and stuff like that. I just don't see why, past what we already have and are to each other, getting a stamp of approval from church (or state) is important.
That's more or less what I meant when I stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trep
Ultimately I don't need permission from any church or government when I declare my love and partnership for someone. There is a psychological 'comfort' for that, I understand. But there's also the very high divorce rate, which I also understand to render a joke the supposedly 'sacred' and 'infallible' institution of marriage. I put my personal pledge of love and partnership with my man higher in value than on Marriage (capital 'M'). If my man wants to marry me in a church or at the courthouse, it must be his own personal desire to do so as his declaration of his love for, and partnership with, me. And I will honour that because he means it, not because the church or government means it for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
The only thing that sucks about it is his company won't let me on his medical insurance. If we were gay they would, but since we're straight and "could" get married if we "wanted" to, I'm not the real deal in their eyes. Bugs the hell out of me, but I'm not going to get married just to spite them.
Ironic, isn't it? And to think many other states in the U.S. don't recognize same sex partnerships as legal, thereby not deserving of such things as insurance. Weird.

Quote:
Hanging out at your house must be awesome.
Because no one wears pants there? But.... :eek: ....if Elton invited us over for dinner, does that mean we have to take our pants off at the door?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien