View Single Post
Old 03-06-2005, 09:13 AM   #25
SakSquash
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMac
And should it? What if the people (majority) thought no blacks should be allowed to vote, use water fountains or travel in the front of the bus? Or if people thought no jews should be allowed in their hotel? (common practice in the 40's - 50's)
"that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

It's the democratic system. Majority rules. I guess if you believe that all people are inherantly evil, then that may be a problem for you, but I don't believe that.

But you're right about the purpose of the consitiution, but like I said, it does not state the idea of seperation of Church and state.

And god forbid anyone get offended these days. I personally LIKE to be offended, because it provokes thought. And if there are a lot of people offended by it, then fine, take it down, but like someone once said to me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMac
I would not want my rights decided by whatever majority happened to be in play at the moment.
But to end this, since I HATE political discussion because it turns people into enimies, even though i'd rather gargle glass before i'd go to church, having a statue that says things like "don't kill, don't steal, don't lie" seems like a good idea, and basically harmless. If you don't want to see it, don't look.