View Single Post
Old 03-06-2005, 09:00 AM   #24
LauraMac
Bearly Here

Quote:
to me it should be up to the people to decide. Sadly, it hardly ever turns out that way.
And should it? What if the people (majority) thought no blacks should be allowed to vote, use water fountains or travel in the front of the bus? Or if people thought no jews should be allowed in their hotel? (common practice in the 40's - 50's)

The Constitution is there to have stablility in law so that our laws do not change from season to season based upon the ever changing and easily influenced ideas of the majority.

I would not want my rights decided by whatever majority happened to be in play at the moment. Also we live in a nation of "states" What a legal nightmare if every state had it's own self-determined set of rights.

Finally, in terms of logic, if you claim there is no harm in displaying the 10 commandments - yet it offends [obviously as expressed by opponents to these documents being displayed] certain other religions or beliefs not grounded in judaic-christian biblical laws, a more logical question is what harm occurs if they are not displayed? I can't think of any harm that falls on the courts, people or states by not having this document displayed.

Of course if there were some compelling reason why the absence of this document or religious laws would cause harm, that might be at least a logical argument for having them. Right now I just see a preference for them at stake.