Thread: Chat RPGs
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2005, 12:11 PM   #15
Jazhara7
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
I haven't read any of the books, but I have respect for those who can set up a roleplay that doesn't follow the same plotline but has a couple of it's events tangent the plot! It sounds awesome. I'd love to hear more about that.
I'll tell you if I can think of any more things. I can't remember any right now (I haven't got the link to the RP chatroom.

But I know that there was a war with Scanra (a nordic neighbour. A bit like Scandinavian countries, and the Vikings.), and a conflict with Carthak (a southern Neighbour across a strait of sea, like some african countries. It is huge, and has a large war force), in the books. I don't know how much that has influenced the RP, but it probably did some damage to the people of Corus.

Quote:
I'm generally opposed to magic (and non-magic shapeshifting) in any roleplay, no matter how fantastic. The fewest people can play a mage convincingly... most just get stuck in the whole "look at me, I can make objects float" aspect of it, and their character personality is neglected. So I can understand how magic of any sort would be restricted! I just avoid fantasy completely these days.
Well, magic isn't restricted per se. It's just characters with larger than average Gifts. Every person with the Gift gets trained - And untrained Gift is extremely dangerous, so the people in that world see to it for Gifted people to get trained. Someone with a really large gift is very likely to go to the large universities in Carthak, or to the City of the Gods. And someone who is a powerful sorcerer is unlikely to hang around thieves and cutthroats. Or even go into the lower city.

People with small or medium gifts are okay. There are different types of Gifts - some have healing magic, others are especially good with fire. In the "Song of the Lioness", it is mentioned that the Gods punish those people who try to use
a type of Gift which the person had not been given (apparently most people COULD use different sorts of the Gift, but they might not be very talented. The Gods did not mean for them to use that type of Gift).

My character Gariel has a very tiny bit of Magic. It is nothing spectacular. He can do tricks with it, and probably create entertaining illusions (his job is to entertain people, after all.). It is nothing that can change the world. He wouldn't be able to use it in combat, or anything.

By the way, Gariel is also very clumsy, and is not very good at fighting physically. Only his hands are nimble, which is good, because he plays the lute.

Quote:
The most fantastic character in Crimson Feather is the gamemaster character, Dread. Dread can invade people's dreams (it's an astral/electromagnetic phenomenom) and convince them of their own death. He's not a pleasant fellow, but his character is only interesting because of his personality, which has far more depth than your average sociopath might... At least I like to flatter myself with that thought. Not sure if the claim is right - I can't look at it from a truly outside perspective, afterall. Dread is bound by freeform rules, though, so he doesn't get to do anything to anyone without the OOC permission, or that it's required to "moderate" an IC action gone awry.
That character sounds cool!

Quote:
Admittedly, I like the name... but not the translation!
Well, I thought it would fit, because she is from a desert area. So it's more her origin that is described, rather than her character.

Quote:
Uh-oh. I'd love to help you in this regard, but I'm afraid I don't know enough about the world. But if I think of anything that would work in a medieval setting off-hand, I'll be sure to post it.
I think I have a pretty good one. She has an older brother. Let's say, he has something (sweets, something he took away from her, etc.), and Yabissa wants that. So she tries to get it from his pocket. At first she wouldn't succeed, but would still keep trying. And of course, a little child trying to get something from her older brother wouldn't get it's hand chopped off.

Quote:
What colours? (*noseynoseynosey*)
Right eye green, left eye blue. I once had a math teacher with two different eye colours, by the way.

Quote:
I think in the last version of Crimson Feather, I had 12 characters at one point. Only about four were seriously deep characters, though, the others were just character sheets of people who had some relevance to the plotline but were flat and were rarely played...

Just two characters would kill me, I think.
Well, the two character rule is only for the first 6 months. After that you may have more.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!