Thread: Chat RPGs
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2005, 11:21 AM   #12
Jazhara7
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I think the Steelsings RP has to be well structured, because it is based on the books - A lot.

For example: Right now the RP is in a time before the events in "Trickster's Queen" (or was it "Trickster's Choice"? I don't know) - apparently there was a rebellion of a group of people in that book, and this rebellion will happen in about two months in the RP (I haven't read that book yet, though).

Also, I think it makes sense to restrict people from creating characters that are related to the characters from the books.

Also, teenage girls are half-restricted (it must be a VERY good character, to get a teenage girl approved), because everybody wanted to play one.
This is due to the nature of Tamora Pierce's books: The main protagonists are all female (except for one character in the "Circle of Magic" books, and that series plays in a completely different world). In "Song of the Lioness", you follow Alanna of Trebond who disguises herself as a boy in order to switch places with her brother Thom, and become a knight. (she also has violet eyes, red hair, and magic)
In "The Immortals" you follow the Wild Mage Veralidaine (Daine) Sarrasri, who can talk to all animals, and turn into animals etc. (normally Wild Magic is limited to one focus animal. Some people are good with horses, some with dolphins, and so on. Also, normally people with Wild Magic can't shapechange. There's a reason why Daine can do that, but it's to difficult to explain it all without spoilers).
In "Protector of the Small", you follow Keladry of Mindelan who also becomes wants to become a knigth. At that time, it is legal for girls to become knights, but none had applied in the ten years since it became so.
As far as I know, in the "Trickster" books, you follow Alanna's daughter Alianne, but that's all I know.

Both girls and boys read the books, but I think the girls are the majority. And many of them are teens, too. One of the mods is younger than me (I think she turns 14 soon)!

Healing magic is restricted right now, because there were too many (Alanna has healing magic, so everyone wanted it too).

Wild Magic is also banned, becaue after "The Immortals", where it was introduced, everybody wanted it, even though it is said in the books, that it is very rare. Also, magic (called "The Gift") is not encouraged, especially if a character has huge amounts of it. Same with the Sight.

Knights and Nobles are difficult to get in, because it is not very common for rich people to go into a seedy Inn in Lower Corus, that has a pretty bad reputation.

Some occupations are discouraged (though not banned), because they became quite popular after a character (especially if they are mayor characters) in the books had that occupation. Seamstresses (after the character Lalasa in "Protector of the Small") are one example.

I also found out that you only have to get your first character approved. I guess they assume that after that, you know what is good, and what is a No-No.

Shari (now called "Yabissa", because they told me that they had a lot of characters with names starting with "Sh". It would be too much confusion. "Yabissa" means "dry one") was approved, by the way. She's older now, though. 28. I'll not use her right away, though, because I have to think of a good reason why she is allowed to walk around, and has not been married to someone yet. I may stick with the idea of her parents being supporters of Queen Thayet (who also opened schools for everyone), but I thought of making her having some variation of Intersexuality (used to be called "Hermaphrodite"), which might make marrying her to someone difficult (because it is a medieval setting, that is.).

Also, I need a good reason of how she learned to pickpocket. The thing is, that if you are caught pickpocketing, you lose a hand, and that pretty much ends that career.

Until then, I will use my other character, Gariel Goodmold. A 30 year old, grey-haired, wandering Minstrel, with two different eye colours (which is a pretty BAD thing to have in medieval times. Good thing there's no thing like the devil in the books. Only different types of goods, and Uusoae, the Queen of Chaos).

In the first 6 month after having been approved to the RP, you can have only two characters, because that is easier to manage.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!