View Single Post
Old 02-20-2005, 11:57 PM   #10
Leonard Shelby
Banned User

Here s an old interview of the game developper :

Does the game's story delve into the supernatural?

No. Unfortunately, serial killers are not fictional. They are a very real aspect of our society. According to the FBI, there are between 50 and 500 serial killers currently active in the US.

There have been mentions of links to the Post Mortem story. Post Mortem featured a story about the Templars. Will Still Life have anything to do with esoteric societies?

Victoria discovers a secret S&M club during her investigation. That's all I can say about that.

Will we get to meet any other characters from the Post Mortem franchise?

Besides Gus McPherson, nothing from Post Mortem is recycled. Still Life is not a sequel to Post Mortem, but more of a spin off.

How many characters will we meet in the game and how many locations will we get to visit?

You will meet 24 characters in all: 11 in Chicago and 13 in Prague. As for environments, we have 7 locations in Chicago and 11 in Prague. There are over 300 camera shots that cover the different environments.

Will the story be linear or non-linear?

The story is non-linear. When Victoria finds her grandfather's journal and starts reading it, we are transported to Prague of the late 20s. Then we start playing Gus. There are a number of chapters in the game, moving between the different time periods (2004 Chicago and 1929 Prague). Cinematic cut scenes that create the bridge between the two time periods. The game is linear though. The player cannot switch from one period to the other whenever he or she wants to. The switches are predetermined.

Is the game's story inspired in some way by movies, books or other games?

The first inspiration would be Patricia Cornwell's Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper Case Closed. I found her Walter Sickert theory to be very interesting, so much so that our killer in Prague is an artist. Anything that John Douglas wrote, but more specifically The Anatomy of Motive. His books are an absolute must if you ever create a murderer as a character. There were a lot of movies that inspired us but the one that was the most referred to was undoubtedly Se7en. There is an Internet site I have to mention is www.crimelibrary.com, which was an important source of information.

The game seems quite gory. What kind of rating are you hoping for?

It does tend to get the gory reputation but I assure you that it will never be gratuitous. Still Life does have murder scenes and dodgy subject matter but I believe that we stayed out of the horror genre and remained in the thriller genre.

"Post Mortem used a 1st person perspective while Syberia, which rumour has it that it was more successful than Post Mortem in terms of sales and critical acclaim, used a 3rd person perspective. Did this success play any role in your decision to use a 3rd person perspective, or did you take this decision for other reasons?

Post Mortem was the last 1st person adventure game that Microids produced. With the creation of Syberia came new expertise and a better engine. We simply wanted to continue what the Syberia 2 team accomplished."

Here s an old interview of the game developper :

Does the game's story delve into the supernatural?

No. Unfortunately, serial killers are not fictional. They are a very real aspect of our society. According to the FBI, there are between 50 and 500 serial killers currently active in the US.

There have been mentions of links to the Post Mortem story. Post Mortem featured a story about the Templars. Will Still Life have anything to do with esoteric societies?

Victoria discovers a secret S&M club during her investigation. That's all I can say about that.

Will we get to meet any other characters from the Post Mortem franchise?

Besides Gus McPherson, nothing from Post Mortem is recycled. Still Life is not a sequel to Post Mortem, but more of a spin off.

How many characters will we meet in the game and how many locations will we get to visit?

You will meet 24 characters in all: 11 in Chicago and 13 in Prague. As for environments, we have 7 locations in Chicago and 11 in Prague. There are over 300 camera shots that cover the different environments.

Will the story be linear or non-linear?

The story is non-linear. When Victoria finds her grandfather's journal and starts reading it, we are transported to Prague of the late 20s. Then we start playing Gus. There are a number of chapters in the game, moving between the different time periods (2004 Chicago and 1929 Prague). Cinematic cut scenes that create the bridge between the two time periods. The game is linear though. The player cannot switch from one period to the other whenever he or she wants to. The switches are predetermined.

Is the game's story inspired in some way by movies, books or other games?

The first inspiration would be Patricia Cornwell's Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper Case Closed. I found her Walter Sickert theory to be very interesting, so much so that our killer in Prague is an artist. Anything that John Douglas wrote, but more specifically The Anatomy of Motive. His books are an absolute must if you ever create a murderer as a character. There were a lot of movies that inspired us but the one that was the most referred to was undoubtedly Se7en. There is an Internet site I have to mention is www.crimelibrary.com, which was an important source of information.

The game seems quite gory. What kind of rating are you hoping for?

It does tend to get the gory reputation but I assure you that it will never be gratuitous. Still Life does have murder scenes and dodgy subject matter but I believe that we stayed out of the horror genre and remained in the thriller genre.

Post Mortem used a 1st person perspective while Syberia, which rumour has it that it was more successful than Post Mortem in terms of sales and critical acclaim, used a 3rd person perspective. Did this success play any role in your decision to use a 3rd person perspective, or did you take this decision for other reasons?

Post Mortem was the last 1st person adventure game that Microids produced. With the creation of Syberia came new expertise and a better engine. We simply wanted to continue what the Syberia 2 team accomplished.

Will Still Life use 3D characters on 2D prerendered backgrounds?

Yes, Still Life uses 3D characters on 2D prerendered backgrounds.

In what ways is the engine of Still Life improved compared to the engine of Syberia 2?

Still Life is similar to the Syberia series in its basic point-and-click gameplay, but we have added some notable features. The dialogue system has totally changed. Another addition is the full-screen inventory with two new features - an examine (with zoom functions) and a combine button. Shadow effects have been greatly improved. The path finding has improved also (less slipping and sliding).

What is the highest graphics resolution the game can reach?

800x600"

Last edited by Leonard Shelby; 02-21-2005 at 12:03 AM.