View Single Post
Old 01-27-2005, 11:48 AM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

My first experience at the Vivendi / Sierra forum was to post a link for abandonware. Someone was looking for a game and I posted the link thinking I was helping. I really and truly didn't know how the community regarded abandonware -- I had literally only rediscovered adventure games earlier that week and was trying to be nice. The mod deleted my post and shut down my account without even an explanation. It was only after I went to the FAQs trying to figure out what happened to my account that I realized I'd broken a rule.

I suppose deleting the link and closing the account was a better way to handle it than to let twenty people jump on me for what a terrible person I am, but still, all it would have taken would have been a brief explanation and I would have known better. I may even have stuck around that community.

Anyway, I try hard not to do this kind of thing to people here. I usually lurk on a board for awhile before I post (I was reading this one for months before I worked up the courage!) and I think that first post is the hardest to make. It's not a good feeling to finally make your first post somewhere, only to be told that you did it wrong.

-emily

ps I once closed someone's thread after referring them to another thread on the same topic and felt kinda bad about it afterward. That little padlock is so sterile and mean looking. Merging is better, but I wish that merging threads left a redirect, the same way that moving a thread does. Sometimes I'm hesitant to merge a thread because it will look to the original poster like their thread has been deleted.