View Single Post
Old 01-24-2005, 12:36 PM   #10
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I don't think that kids want to play games targetted at them. Not those who choose their own games, anyway. They want to play games that are fun, and that have a good story, and those are qualities that all gamers expect.
Kids also typically identify with the age group that's one notch above them. So if something is targetted at a 13 year old, it'll probably be perfect for a 10 year old.

The problem with a lot of today's games is that they are too adult, even unconsciously, for a younger kid. Runaway would be great... except for that stripper part, the drag queens, and the pot references... Or am I underestimating what an 8-13 year old is exposed to in the media already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Of course, it's arguable that you should instead be picking up budget versions of old LucasArts and Sierra games. However, the sad fact of the matter is that technology has advanced, and many younger people are blinkered as to the charms of these older games because they don't instantly look appealing.
That's why I suggested the remakes - they are slightly more appealing to the eye, they run on today's machines without tweaking, and they're free (so they can be tried out without any monetary investment). If it turns out he plays them and likes them (I intend to follow up and find out), I may suggest some of the originals for him to play. It's actually not too different from how many of us probably played our first adventure game -- without paying for it, either with a pirated copy (ack!) or at a friend's house -- it's just that the delivery method has changed. I never would have gone out and spent my very own money on King's Quest 1 if I hadn't first played a pirated copy of LSL with my dad, and I never would have known to buy Deja Vu 2 if I hadn't first played the original with a friend. In fact, this is probably why I never played a LucasArts game... I didn't have any friends who turned me onto them. By the time someone did try to get me into Full Throttle (my boyfriend in high school) I was too interested in doing... err... other things with him.

-emily

Last edited by fov; 01-24-2005 at 12:43 PM.