View Single Post
Old 01-21-2005, 11:11 PM   #32
LauraMac
Bearly Here

Seems to me there are several different things being discussed all under the label of "flirting"

Now I am a southerner - bred and raised. I am not talking about any broadstream notions in the negative sense. I am talking about a way of life that lives deep in many people from the warm sultry climes down here.

Many southerners are native born flirts. But in very non-gender based altruistic way. It has been called charm, warmth or even hosptality. To me flirting is what you do when you are challenged to bring a smile to a naturally grumpy person's face, have someone sidle up and tell you their secrets and they walk away feeling real good about it. It makes no matter to a true southern charmer whether it's woman, man, child or even a sad looking pooch - it's that point of intimate contact that arises when you focus in a real and totally absorbed way solely on another and most importantly that they feel the attention. And the point of it all isn't anything other than -- for at least a moment, you shared something intimate with each other. That to me is what flirting is.

Now appeal or attraction is another thing altogether and that is where you notice someone in a very specific way or in a way they wish you to see. That may or may not arise out of flirting. And it may be an intended or accidental consequence. What attracts me personally has often been the oddest of things and varied between individuals, times, events and my mood at that precise moment. This is why I think a line will never really work, because what works varies so much.

Then you have magnitism - which is where certain people just attract attention of all sorts without even trying to. They just always seem to generate heat and a certain energy where ever they go and whoever they interact with. Now that is sexy, attractive and who cares about flirting.

As for my fave flirting stories or encounters - well lean in close... give me a slow sweet smile, whisper, "tell me" and ... I will .... then again ...

maybe I'll just smile sweetly, laugh warmly and say "hey now you know I can't tell you all my stories, let's just talk about yours instead or better yet let's make our own"