View Single Post
Old 01-21-2005, 02:54 AM   #20
Ninth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
That's what I mean. I don't have a problem with it any more than you do. I personally think ICO is, not just an adventure game in essence, but a very powerful one at that. And I have no problem with that. So of course, you wouldn't either. Right?
Ok, I don't know ICO's gameplay, so I couldn't answer you.
But I think somehow you're confusing adventure games with Adventure games. I mean, an AG is not exactly a game which provides an adventure (in the noble sense of the word). Deus Ex has a story, character interaction, a compelling atmosphere, and provides an excellent adventure, but it's not an Adventure game per se.
For some reason, you're associating Adventure game with quality. I don't think a game is crappy because it's not an AG, nor do I think it's good because it is. It just happens that an AG will have more chances to please me because that's the kind of gameplay I'm into.

EDIT : A game is not only definied by its "essence", but also by what it plays, and looks like. Else I could say that Morrowind is an adventure game. It's one of the best game I've played, granted, it has characters interaction, a nice story, plenty of inventory, ... but in the end, it's a RPG. So what?