View Single Post
Old 12-29-2004, 09:52 AM   #11
fov
Rattenmonster

Are you asking why I don't consider the Arcadia portions of TLJ to qualify it as a fantasy adventure?

Personally, I have a few reasons... I liked Stark and April's interactions in Stark better (having recently graduated from college, I got a kick out of playing a college student, which went away once Arcadia was introduced) and I guess because April is not *from* Arcadia -- she's a stranger in a strange land -- it's hard for me to see TLJ as a game set in a fantasy world. In my mind it's set on a futuristic Earth, and the protagonist visits a fantasy-type world from time to time. Maybe if the game had started in Arcadia and then moved to Stark I'd have felt differently (but I don't think so). April is out of place in Arcadia, and by extension the player controlling April is out of place there, so it can't be a truly immersive experience. Compare that to the world in a King's Quest game, or Keepsake, where all of the characters know no other world... so by extension, the player knows no other world, and becomes immersed.

I agree that Torin's Passage has a wonderful fantasy setting. I've never actually played the Kyrandia games... so in my mind, Torin's Passage is the last great fantasy game that came out.

-emily

Last edited by fov; 12-29-2004 at 10:09 AM.