More than anything else, Detective Gallo feels to me like a game that has its heart in the right place and tried hard but just couldn’t make it to the top. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good game across the board for sure, but it kept falling short of greatness for me.
Time Played: 2-5 hours
Difficulty: Just Right
* A nice cartoony graphic style, but the walk cycle is tedious, it went too ham on the bizarre perspective in the office, and it doesn’t play nice with my 16:10 monitor. (It never seems to look as good as the screenshots for me.)
* Music is pretty forgettable.
* The voice acting is perhaps the best part.
* Jokes and general writing are good without being great.
* Puzzles are standard old-school fare, mostly good but a tad arbitrary.
* With a small world and three-ish hours of gameplay, it would be more suited as a first chapter or episode than a full game.