• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

BlackMirror announced by THQ Nordic

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

jannar85 - 01 December 2017 11:31 AM

I clearly understand this is not the game for me. So thanks!

did you try/play it, or this decision is outta the infos (negative) you gathered so far from those who tried it.

but anyway i should give weight to all of your opinions since you have given TNotR 5stars Thumbs Up  Heart  Wink

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I saw some of a playthrough on Youtube Wink Was enough for me.

- Atle

Last Completed
Kelvin and the Infamous Machine ★★★

Currently Playing
The Night of the Rabbit 20% ★★★★★
Fran Bow 80% ★★★★
Batman: A Telltale Game Series 40% ★★★★★
Kelvin and the Infamous Machine 25% ★★★★

Next Up
Sam & Max: The Devils Playhouse (40%) on hold
The Book of Unwritten Tales: The Critter Chronicles
Runaway: A Twist of Fate 50% (on hold)

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2006-03-14

PM

just finished. unfortunately I have to admit I was disappointed from the result.
although I had issues from the first hour, I kept going on in the beginning because of hope and atmosphere. unfortunately the game feels becoming weaker the more you progress.
what felt like the preliminary puzzles in the beginning never evolved to anything more and actually dropped.
it had a nice gloomy atmosphere but in never came close to the more harrowing one from the previous 3 games or raise the stakes closer to the end.
and storywise, it really never gives anything surprising or unexpected, it feels very cliche.

the controls, although you get used to them, at some point i got a bit annoyed trying to hit the hot spot, especially at the ghost sequences.

but my greatest misery remains the loading… oh the loading… the agony… with enough backtracking due to the limited number of areas and so much loading, I feel 1/3 of my 6-7 hours of the game were lost in loading screens.

I expected more. more from a game from the Black Mirror series and more from King Art.

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I have to agree with the reviwer. Why the developers insist in making something so simple into complicated things? Why change an adventure game from point and click to a consolle thing? Do they think that we will enjoy it more? Why put QTE in a game, for Christ sakes? Do they thing we will enjoy it more? I hate QTE! The game could be great if it wasn’t for those things. Do they really thing that making a game like that will get people to buy more games? And what about the transitions between screens? I have a 12 GB RAM PC that is enough to load the entire game into memory, why do I have to wait for loading times? Hope they learn from their mistakes…

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

UruBoo - 02 December 2017 09:31 PM

I have to agree with the reviwer. Why the developers insist in making something so simple into complicated things? Why change an adventure game from point and click to a consolle thing? Do they think that we will enjoy it more? Why put QTE in a game, for Christ sakes? Do they thing we will enjoy it more? I hate QTE! The game could be great if it wasn’t for those things. Do they really thing that making a game like that will get people to buy more games? And what about the transitions between screens? I have a 12 GB RAM PC that is enough to load the entire game into memory, why do I have to wait for loading times? Hope they learn from their mistakes…

I think they do it because pointing and clicking isn’t supposed to work on a console. But is that really true? I bet it would not be as frustrating as wrestling with WASD controls to move a guy around who gets stuck on furniture and walks like he is drunk!

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

You are right. But, come on, with the technology we have these days, they could make a game for boths devices: consolles and PCs. And why we have to wait for trillions of seconds to change the screens??? That is something (being an IT engeeniring myself) I can’t admit.

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

UruBoo - 02 December 2017 09:31 PM

I have a 12 GB RAM PC that is enough to load the entire game into memory, why do I have to wait for loading times? Hope they learn from their mistakes…

Doubt that,remind you it’s a low budget game.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

UruBoo - 02 December 2017 10:09 PM

You are right. But, come on, with the technology we have these days, they could make a game for boths devices: consolles and PCs. And why we have to wait for trillions of seconds to change the screens??? That is something (being an IT engeeniring myself) I can’t admit.

You are right, there’s no reason why a game can’t have controller methods that work fluently in several different controls. A lot of game do that, of which one of the best examples is Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2, which function very nicely no matter if you want to use keyboard and mouse or a gamepad. And that is on a PC.

That just needs some additional development, as you do need to re-design the UI in consideration to benefits of the control method used. But, as Ron Gilbert made it clear, a gamepad can work very well even for a verb based UI like he used with Thimbleweed Park. The first time I played that one through, I did it by using a pad and it felt very fluent.

Big pauses in loading are often caused by shoddy code, the engine itself used or poor optimization. If that is the case, the only thing to do is to wait for an update that takes care of it, as no amount of horsepower from the CPU/GU can fix that one.

Total Posts: 510

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Although I so far enjoy BM4 more, it delivers the same first impression as Syberia 3: A low budget game pretending to be an AAA title but that lacks polish in key areas. The controls and constant black, too long loading screens have been mentioned and I can only agree (and I use a controller and the game is installed on the internal SSD drive). I played 3D games with much better controls 20 years ago. And one of the last games I completed, INFRA, loads entire cities and massive rural landscapes in memory in not much longer loading times than BM4 needs for a tiny room or to switch to and from a cutscene.

And what were they thinking when designing the inventory interface? It’s a struggle everytime one needs to examine or manipulate an object. More often than not I end up in the game menu instead of the inventory. What’s up with that? Successfully manages to pull me out of the game everytime. The interface also manages to suck the fun out of those puzzles they “borrowed” from the The Room games.

Rant over. Three hours into it I still enjoy the game enough to continue. It has stuff going for it. But it’s hard to understand how this game could be released in the state it’s in and how some design choices made it into the final product.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top