• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady KestrelluckyloserTheTMD

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

I’m breaking up with Daedalic! (not really)

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

This thread is for fun only. I’m expressing my emotions, and you should take it lightly.

I’ve just read the review of The Pillars of the Earth and watched some gameplay on Youtube just to make sure - I’m sorry, but (*dramatic fanfare in the background) Daedalic is no longer my favorite active company!!! It’s been wonderful 7 years or so, but I can’t do this anymore. You’re going to make someone so happy someday, Daedalic, and I just need some space. I hope we can still be friends. There’s no one else, I swear. (well, perhaps King Art Games?)

Our relationship was already shaky with The Whispered World 2 when you abandoned the inventory, and now: “There’s no challenge to speak of at all, really; though this isn’t a pure visual novel, your objective is always very evident and simply exploring and talking will get you where you need to be”. To add insult to injury: “There are a few brief sequences where an arrow moves quickly across a bar at the bottom of the screen, and you must click or press at the right time to accomplish an action such as firing a slingshot.” Really??! Now, don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against narrative games and walking simulators (well, perhaps I do) but what about diversity?? If YOU, the one I loved for being the traditional to the bone lost that diversity, where is this world heading? (see this thread for more depressing thoughts). There’s no consolation in other incoming games, either: State of Mind seems like a product of THAT company, and The Devil’s Men which seemed like the game by Daedalic I knew and loved, is pushed and its release is put under the question mark. Yikes!

That’s it. Nothing more to say. We’ll always have Paris Silentia!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i broke up with her before you, my advice as she is getting weirder each day, get a restraining order

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-12-29

PM

I know that feel. I was a big Telltale fanboy until they pretty much stopped making things I’m interested in. Focus on the good times and try to see other devs. Of course, Daedalic was one of the main ones I moved on to…
Sillyness besides, it is slightly bothersome to see big German companies move in the casual direction. Germany was supposed to be the market where highly traditional adventures thrived even in the mainstream. Between this and the reviews for Syberia 3 being so bad I won’t get it for fear of tainting my feelings for the first two, the adventure game renaissance of the last decade or so may be running out of steam a bit.

The golden age of mathematics - that was not the age of Euclid, it is ours. -Cassius Jackson Keyser

Total Posts: 260

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

Currently, I have an eye on King Art. I’m still not sure, but right now it’s a lot nicer than Daedalic, promising us games like Black Mirror 4 and The Treasure of Oak Island. Our first two dates were great, while date three didn’t end very satisfying and date four was kind of so-so, but I somehow enjoyed his company anyway.
I’m still a bit sad I had to break up with Daedalic, too, but he hasn’t been himself lately. I blame that publisher, Bastei Lübbe. It’s an okay address for fantasy novels, but it’s a bad influence on Daedalic’s gameplay development.

(I’ll still buy books from Bastei, because I’m addicted to fantasy novels at the moment. But it’s a shame what’s happening to Daedalic. I’ll miss their adventures.)

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’ve never really gotten into Daedalic adventures. They always seem to be missing something or they just manage to annoy me with terrible main characters. I don’t know if their games suffer from poor translation from German to English, or is their writing style just generally not to my liking, I haven’t been really impressed by any of their games.

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

I’m beginning to think Daedalic cheated on me with Telltale. He’s been acting really weird lately.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Yeah I feel similar.

For years fist Telltale and then Daedalic was my favourite developer, but now they have both turned to the dark side Cry
I however still have hope for Daedalic!
There… is good in him. I know there is… still…

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

It’s business, nothing more. These companies are employing people and would like to make some profit too. But if the sales are not paying for their salaries, they have to evolve or die.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

SoccerDude28 - 16 August 2017 12:44 PM

It’s business, nothing more. These companies are employing people and would like to make some profit too. But if the sales are not paying for their salaries, they have to evolve or die.

I don’t quite agree with that. It’s policy. They’re trying to be more commercial by dumbing-down (sorry, I couldn’t find less intrusive term) their games, which is quite different to just “making profit”. Either that, or Daedalic is now a completely different company, with different people and management. Because, in an interview in 2013, the co-founder says: “A good adventure however utilizes gameplay to tell the story while actually playing and uses gameplay to let you experience plot aspects at their best”, followed with “I think the doctrine mentioned above, taking adventure games for interactive dramaturgy and not for games with narrative elements, is making the difference.”, is in contrast with the direction they’re taking. But I’ll stop now, I sound like a whiny “betrayed” fan-boy.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

diego - 16 August 2017 03:02 PM

Daedalic is now a completely different company, with different people and management.

That’s what happened I think, “In May 2014, German publisher Bastei Lübbe acquired a majority share of 51% in Daedalic Entertainment” -  the girl you knew is long gone, just enjoy the memories Smile

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I don’t quite agree with that. It’s policy. They’re trying to be more commercial by dumbing-down (sorry, I couldn’t find less intrusive term) their games, which is quite different to just “making profit”.

Why are they trying to “dumb down” their games? If they are making enough money from the old model, why change it? It just doesn’t make any fiscal sense. Whether it’s new management or the old one, the old model must not be working for them financially, and they look at the financial success of companies like Telltale and want to follow suit.

Also the landscape of adventure games has changed significantly between 2013 and 2017. We just had a thread about if adventure games are dying. The whole kickstarter craze is over, and the main torch bearers of the old school adventure games are indie devs who work in much smaller teams than Daedalic.

Don’t take me wrong, I am not saying that I like it. I am just saying that I understand where they are coming from.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

SoccerDude28 - 16 August 2017 03:46 PM

I don’t quite agree with that. It’s policy. They’re trying to be more commercial by dumbing-down (sorry, I couldn’t find less intrusive term) their games, which is quite different to just “making profit”.

Why are they trying to “dumb down” their games? If they are making enough money from the old model, why change it? It just doesn’t make any fiscal sense.

It’s capitalism. “Enough money” isn’t a term recognized by corporations.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

SoccerDude28 - 16 August 2017 03:46 PM

The whole kickstarter craze is over, and the main torch bearers of the old school adventure games are indie devs who work in much smaller teams than Daedalic.

The thing is, Daedalic was a relatively “small” company when they produced Edna&Harvey; and The Whispered World, they were almost an “indie” company. And they’re 2 of their best games. LucasArts wasn’t a giant when they produced Monkey Island 1, they were just three cool guys having fun making jokes, and making fun puzzles, who had a hell of a composer and background artists. I’m not lamenting about the indie nature of our genre (it’s been like this since 2000) but about the change in Daedalic philosophy that goes with the current commercial trend. I mentioned that thread ironically, because if you can give me couple of “indie” titles like Paradigm occasionally in a year, I’ll be more than satisfied about adventure genre.

Company doesn’t change within itself only when it’s making loss (see this for full technical explanation) Grin - and after all, I’d rather play a game which is not made after someone decided that “We need to make profit!”, instead of “Let’s make a cool game!”. The Beatles were 4 guys kicking asses out of pop music because they liked it and it came natural to them, and the money came afterwards. Van Gogh painted what he felt.. and, well, didn’t live to enjoy the commercial success but you get my drift. Smile Wink

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

tomimt - 16 August 2017 07:58 AM

I’ve never really gotten into Daedalic adventures. They always seem to be missing something or they just manage to annoy me with terrible main characters. I don’t know if their games suffer from poor translation from German to English, or is their writing style just generally not to my liking, I haven’t been really impressed by any of their games.

I agree. Have only played the Deponia games and thought they were nothing more than all right. Tried the demo for the first Whispered World and the voice of the main character made me want to kill somebody.

With that said, I’ve been meaning to read Ken Folletts books so I might check out Pillars of The Earth nonetheless.

In any case there’s no need to dwell on Daedalic when Studio Fizbin is working on The Inner World 2.  Thumbs Up

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

something had happened at 2014, and was being planned since before, or technically took place before 2014, its result gradually took 3-4 years to be seen crystal clear as today .

for me, or anyone who have been keeping his/her eyes and heart over the changes to their marketing’ behaviors, or at least the strange halt they had at 2014; easily would have been worried like me since October 2013 or even before.
i remember some had seen no justification for my worries at the time.. but i seem now eagerly used it.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Henke - 16 August 2017 07:00 PM
tomimt - 16 August 2017 07:58 AM

I agree. Have only played the Deponia games and thought they were nothing more than all right. Tried the demo for the first Whispered World and the voice of the main character made me want to kill somebody.

With that said, I’ve been meaning to read Ken Folletts books so I might check out Pillars of The Earth nonetheless.

In any case there’s no need to dwell on Daedalic when Studio Fizbin is working on The Inner World 2.  Thumbs Up

I agree on most parts - Deponia is one of the most overrated series ever.

However Daedelic suffers from dreadful English localization. Hiring better writers and voice actors would have improved their games massively.

TWW is unplayable in English, if you play it in German it is actually a pretty good game. Their only other game worth playing is Edna and Harvey.

And yes, The Inner World 2 is my most anticipated game right now Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top