• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Observer

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Cyberpunk horror game from the creators of Layers of Fear releasing tomorrow

http://store.steampowered.com/app/514900/observer/

Gameplay

What would you do if your fears were hacked? >observer_ is a cyberpunk horror game from Bloober Team, the creators of Layers of Fear. Discover a dark cyberpunk world beset by plagues, war and squalor. Play as the new front line of neural police as you hack into the jagged minds of the insane.

Features:

Observe and Report - You are Dan Lazarski, an elite neural detective known as an Observer, and part of a corporate-funded police unit whose purpose is to hack and invade suspects’ minds. In this future, anything you think, feel, or remember can be used against you in a court of law.

A Dark Dystopia - The year is 2084. If you somehow survived the Nanophage, odds are you were killed in the War. Those who live have turned to drugs, VR, neural implants— anything to distract themselves from this new reality. But they can’t hide from you.

Positive review

Cyberpunk and Rutger Hauer, can’t go wrong

(I think there was thread for it but couldn’t find)

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Hmmm never heard of it. I’m in. That review sounds really promising. It may or may not be the ideal level of interactivity.. but it sounds like more activity than the trendy “watch the story games” we’ve been getting.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

gameinformer wit a 9 too
Some other positive feedback

I though it was Soma wannabe, still price is too steep for walkin sim
will grab on sale

Share your impressions wilco if you are gettin it

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2017-08-07

PM

Looks equal parts amazing and creepy.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

This game so far has unbelievable cyber punk atmosphere, the sheer aesthetic and feel is something I’ve dreamed of returning to adventure games since Rise Of The Dragon. Add to that some truly genuine horror. The “observation” sequences are like bad trips, actually almost too much. The gameplay/puzzles may not be 10/10 but man this game is REALLY cool, I’m surprised there’s not more about it.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

RockNFknRoll - 16 August 2017 01:26 PM

This game so far has unbelievable cyber punk atmosphere, the sheer aesthetic and feel is something I’ve dreamed of returning to adventure games since Rise Of The Dragon. Add to that some truly genuine horror. The “observation” sequences are like bad trips, actually almost too much. The gameplay/puzzles may not be 10/10 but man this game is REALLY cool, I’m surprised there’s not more about it.

Are there any section outside closed spaces
Like buildings and cars
My main issue from trailers is all cyberpunk is limited to closed space and rooms

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Finished it in one sitting, mind getting all crazy now
4 hrs

Definitely up there with Edithfinch in best AGs this year

Atmosphere is thick, music is narrative device
Backstories of NPCs come together in a nice way
Some foreshadowing in plot but its not the game to seek an end but to enjoy dark journey
Journey is some crazy trip, some amazing scenes, all dark in techno body horror
Think Videodrome and Snatcher had a baby

Only complaint is visual effects can be really annoying and irritating, some overdone

Definitely not a vision of future you want to live in, Cyberpunk is not always as cool as they show in other media

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

This type of vision of future which heavily borrowing from 1970’s design approach uses both analog and digital systems amalgamation for 2020’s was quite impressive at the day back then now quite problematic coz if you’re already reach the 2020’s and now you’re redesigning for 2080’s but still sticking with that old styling makes the scene anachronistic.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Gabe - 17 August 2017 04:25 PM

This type of vision of future which heavily borrowing from 1970’s design approach uses both analog and digital systems amalgamation for 2020’s was quite impressive at the day back then now quite problematic coz if you’re already reach the 2020’s and now you’re redesigning for 2080’s but still sticking with that old styling makes the scene anacronistic.

Nobody ever complained about Atari box on Vader in SW, so this gets a pass Smile

But its not Japanese or Western future we are used to, they are taking liberties with it by setting it up in Krakow, there is some old and new and it fits
You know just like most of the Europe looks old, but now totally futuristic inside, interior decoration and tech while outside is centuries old architecture
As i said , its Videodrome, body horror in Cronenberg style , cannot fault them for trying to fuse things together, it works as fiction and can always use new grounds than samey stuff already rife in recent Hollywood films

Infact i was looking for some 80s synths in music, that was delivered in some tracks
Ending credits are straight up Bladerunner Smile

Talking about BR, Rutger made it more nostalgic

So yeah i liked the direction, other than scarce outside city locations

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

nomadsoul - 17 August 2017 06:58 PM

But its not Japanese or Western future we are used to, they are taking liberties with it by setting it up in Krakow, there is some old and new and it fits
You know just like most of the Europe looks old, but now totally futuristic inside, interior decoration and tech while outside is centuries old architecture

A fine example was Deus Ex’s Prag 2029,Observer push timeline to 2084 but mostly cannot overcome BR aesthetics which creates transfixed vision of future no matter how far it is,they may have one simple purpose though: hunting BR and possible BR 2049 fans,good timing then.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Gabe - 18 August 2017 05:09 AM
nomadsoul - 17 August 2017 06:58 PM

A fine example was Deus Ex’s Prag 2029,Observer push timeline to 2084 but mostly cannot overcome BR aesthetics which creates transfixed vision of future no matter how far it is,they may have one simple purpose though: hunting BR and possible BR 2049 fans,good timing then.

You know i take back japanese ver of future because i remembered many Animes playing with mixture of future, there are already GiTS hints in the game
So yeah i cannot fault them for trying something new and fresh, animes have plenty of cyberpunk versions too
Same goes for timeline, there are always game with timelines we have already seen or close to and no future is not like it was portrayed in those games

Game plays with lot of themes, visual or otherwise, the catch here is how smartly they play it here, its commendable
I think some of the deep stuff and trippy scenes will stay original even after Cpunk2077, because it does unique not what already out there in generic form

Observer messes your head by its narrative, and all the techno fetish is for fans of CyberNoir/punk/scifi/retro etc
Intro and opening credits of the game makes that statement

Since i love Cronenberg and body horror i loved this game

Edit

Gamespot also loved it

Youtube comments asking for guns smh

Edit

Today i was thinking about this game, cannot get it out of my head, feeling like art design and world can use another game with more meaty gameplay and exploration
Brilliant visual artists

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

The thread have alarmed me to the title, what a trailer!!..
its my top priority to play right now.

Nice rutger hauer game’s cover.
again i gotta say it; Blade Runner is (has) everything*** possible the entertainment media venues can offer about future.

a piece of interesting Trivia about BR:
no body of those of the movie’s production crew really liked PKD back then while the movie was under production, but whats matter is that with all his paranoia’s diseases its said that PKD was too overwhelmed* with the segments he watched of the movie, he even wrote a letter to the production company expressing his admiration for what he had seen.

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Advie - 18 August 2017 05:07 PM

again i gotta say it; Blade Runner is (has) everything*** possible the entertainment media venues can offer about future..

Deus Ex well updated offerings about future.
PKD’s wishes came true eventually;R.Scott was so confident about himself(after Alien) didn’t waste it with crowd pleaser antics then with forced theatrical ending flopped at the boxoffice.Expecting BR 2049 as a remake(they say sequel but source is same) of a classic gonna take a turn of risk free investment.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Gabe - 19 August 2017 05:01 AM
Advie - 18 August 2017 05:07 PM

again i gotta say it; Blade Runner is (has) everything*** possible the entertainment media venues can offer about future..

Deus Ex well updated offerings about future.
PKD’s wishes came true eventually;R.Scott was so confident about himself(after Alien) didn’t waste it with crowd pleaser antics then with forced theatrical ending flopped at the boxoffice.Expecting BR 2049 as a remake(they say sequel but source is same) of a classic gonna take a turn of risk free investment.

Would agree on DeusEx bringing new to the table but saying BR has everything is quite a hyperbole
Akira, Ghost in the shell far exceeds BR in every way from visuals to philosophical concepts
Deusex brought political,biological and economical on global level angle to the mix
Observer is more about fetishes of Trans-humanism and Cyberspace that has created horrific future with decadence

BR was inspirational but not everything

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

but… inspiration is everything (imo)

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Advie - 19 August 2017 09:49 AM

but… inspiration is everything (imo)

A huge chunk of the modern sci-fi canon owes its existence to one thing: a psychedelic, avant-garde, and frequently X-rated mindfuck of a French comics anthology from the 70s and 80s called Metal Hurlant. Literally ‘Howling Metal’ in French, its influence has been cited by everyone from Ridley Scott to William Gibson and the director of Akira

http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandculture/article/32448/1/the-french-sci-fi-comic-that-inspired-blade-runner-and-akira

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top