• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieVeovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #43: Sinking Island

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

There’s a fix for the lack of lip-sync (even if you’re not using the Steam version):

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=866909648

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Kurufinwe - 09 August 2017 04:30 PM

There’s a fix for the lack of lip-sync (even if you’re not using the Steam version):

Oh wow so that is a bug. Makes sense, since mouth movement has been in games since Broken Sword and the old LA games, and Sinking Island zooms in on the characters when they converse (I found it weird to do that if lip-sync was missing).

Edit:
Fix seems to work great on Steam version. Thank you Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

dumbeur - 09 August 2017 04:10 PM

Away until Saturday but looking forward to my first CP.

Have fun! Smile

Don’t feel bad. I think the deadline for the first section is this Sunday, and I won’t be able to start until this Sunday. So, I’m going to be behind schedule from the get go.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2012-12-22

PM

kabouter - 09 August 2017 04:44 AM

I bought the game from FireFlower (thanks for the discount code by the way!) and downloaded it straight away.

No problem Smile

Story rich DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and linux for direct download - https://fireflowergames.com/. Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 09 August 2017 06:17 PM

Don’t feel bad. I think the deadline for the first section is this Sunday, and I won’t be able to start until this Sunday. So, I’m going to be behind schedule from the get go.

Actually the deadline is Monday, but because of the time difference it will of course be noon/afternoon and not evening for you.

But I wouldn’t worry to much about falling behind here in the first part. It only took me a little more than 2 hours to play this part, though I have of course played it before and more or less knew what I had to do.

I’m also not a 100% sure how the whole time thing works and what triggers the different events. I suspect that the first trigger (eat) will happen when you perform a certain action, and the second (phone call / stop point) will happen a specific amount of time after the first, but I don’t actually know.

dumbeur - 09 August 2017 04:10 PM

Away until Saturday but looking forward to my first CP.

I hope that you will enjoy it.

kabouter - 09 August 2017 04:44 AM

Just returned from holiday and decided to try and join in. Last Sunday I bought a few of Benoit Sokal’s early Canardo books, so it will be fun to play one of his games. I bought the game from FireFlower (thanks for the discount code by the way!) and downloaded it straight away.

The odd thing is that even though I love his games, I have never read any of his comics Meh Perhaps something I should remedy?

SoccerDude28 - 09 August 2017 04:18 PM

Does anyone else find the lack of lip movement in conversations jarring? It sticks out to me like a sore thumb. Just makes the whole conversations feel unnatural.

I works fine, and always have in the distribution I’m playing, so I guess the problem has been fixed in some distributions, but not all. Anyway thanks for posting the fix Kurufinwe.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Kurufinwe - 09 August 2017 04:30 PM

Thanks for the link Kurufinwe - the fix works in my disc version & helps to give a tad more realism to close-ups of the conversations!  Thumbs Up

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve started the game again & played part-way through to solving the 1st mandate ‘Was Walter Jones’ death accidental?’ & this time I thought to check out the wheelchair before leaving that location
I did think that when you make your way back to the hotel you are led, if you want to be, by the appearance of Baina so I decided to follow her
I did check out the cabin which was a little cheeky as Jack should have had a warrant in hand to do that & I felt that Kolio was taken advantage of in the absence of one?
Anyway, I thought the graphics were pretty nice & the atmosphere amazingly portrayed with the wind & the rain. Next - I’m just about to explore the hotel.

Joined 2012-12-22

PM

I’ve also started to play and the island hasn’t sunk yet…

No but seriously, I agree that the atmosphere is amazingly portrayed. And hard to describe but the light is also a bit special, it’s like the sun is shining through the clouds. I like it.

Story rich DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and linux for direct download - https://fireflowergames.com/. Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

chrissie - 10 August 2017 01:56 PM

I did check out the cabin which was a little cheeky as Jack should have had a warrant in hand to do that & I felt that Kolio was taken advantage of in the absence of one?
Anyway, I thought the graphics were pretty nice & the atmosphere amazingly portrayed with the wind & the rain. Next - I’m just about to explore the hotel.

Agreed about the atmosphere, that part was really well done.

About Jack’s warrant, it does raise the question of jurisdiction. How exactly does Jack get authority to investigate this crime on Maladivian soil anyway? It’s made pretty clear later in the game that the nation the island is a part of is independent with its own laws.

Joined 2012-12-22

PM

Oscar - 11 August 2017 10:06 AM
chrissie - 10 August 2017 01:56 PM

Agreed about the atmosphere, that part was really well done.

About Jack’s warrant, it does raise the question of jurisdiction. How exactly does Jack get authority to investigate this crime on Maladivian soil anyway? It’s made pretty clear later in the game that the nation the island is a part of is independent with its own laws.

It’s indeed a bit strange that Jack is allowed to enter the cabin and also take Baïnas diamond and pearl necklace.

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

I’m playing this one together with my wife, and we just reached the first stop point after a session of about two hours. That was a lot of information to take in, interviewing everyone on the island for the first time.

We like the look of the graphics, the atmosphere outside is very stormy, and the grandiose but rather desolate hotel is pretty convincing. I foresee a lot of just walking from one end of a screen to the other for several screens just to get somewhere. And usually a game that involves interviewing suspects also involves a lot of walking around to confront people with the statements of others.

About our progress: we have completed the first mandate, and think we have a good idea about who was there at the Belvedere with Walter Jones, but we just uncovered some new information when Jack’s wife called, so investigating that will have to wait until the next week.

Iznogood - 10 August 2017 07:17 AM

The odd thing is that even though I love his games, I have never read any of his comics Meh Perhaps something I should remedy?

I can’t really tell how much you would enjoy his comics. I’ve read only one so far (the first Canardo that was translated into Dutch). Fortunately most of his books were translated from French into Dutch, I don’t know about availability in other languages.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’ve reached the wife’s call. Sokal does like these phone calls
Really strange that Jack decided to leave a conversation in the middle to grab a bite… Smile

Is there a way to travel to quick travel in the game? Navigation is clunky and there’s a lot of empty rooms to go through

Also, is there a way to jump a line of dialogue? Right-mouse skips the whole thing so I miss the answer but I’m already tired of Jack ALWAYS repeating the exact same question… “Do you know what’s for dinner today?...”  Angry

Anyway, nice and immediately engaging setup, lovely graphics - palm trees blowing in the wind and rain - beautiful architecture.

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

wilco - 12 August 2017 07:17 PM

Is there a way to travel to quick travel in the game? Navigation is clunky and there’s a lot of empty rooms to go through

Also, is there a way to jump a line of dialogue? Right-mouse skips the whole thing so I miss the answer but I’m already tired of Jack ALWAYS repeating the exact same question… “Do you know what’s for dinner today?...”  Angry

Those would be the things that annoy me as well…

By the way, did the physical release of the game come with a manual? It looks to me like the digital downloads don’t have one.

Iznogood - 10 August 2017 07:17 AM

The French wikipedia article on the game mentions Sokal saying the story is basically an Inspecteur Canardo investigation: “L’Île noyée est à la base une enquête de l’Inspecteur Canardo dont on a vaguement repris les grandes lignes.” So if you like the set-up of this game, perhaps you’ll like the Canardo books as well.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Thanks to Izzy and Tim for your responses, and thanks to Kuru for that lip-sync fix. Smile

I’ve finished up to the first checkpoint and am eager to start the next part.  I think I have only one last conversation to go to clear the second mandate.

Beautiful graphics and atmosphere; really starting to get into the game after a slow start.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

FireFlower - 11 August 2017 02:24 PM
Oscar - 11 August 2017 10:06 AM

It’s indeed a bit strange that Jack is allowed to enter the cabin and also take Baïnas diamond and pearl necklace.

My thought there was that he just wasn’t challenged? as you may be by others if Norm gets too nosy as the day progresses

wilco - 12 August 2017 07:17 PM

Double -clicking seems to help speed things up otherwise I think the answer’s no!  Laughing

kabouter - 13 August 2017 02:37 PM

By the way, did the physical release of the game come with a manual? It looks to me like the digital downloads don’t have one.

Yes. I have a manual which I’ve only just had a quick look at – there doesn’t seem to be anything extra to be learnt & is just a guide to playing the game that you can work out for yourself I think?

I’ve reached the part where Norm gets the phone-call from his wife. I managed to explore most floors except for the upper ones only accessible from the heliport. I went straight to Lorenzo’s apartment & spoke to him 1st before looking around which seemed to be the trigger for wanting to eat?

I’ve found the investigation so far interesting albeit a little repetitive on asking the same questions all the time but I thought the voice-acting was top-notch & enjoyed the variety of perceptions & opinions on the same subject. 

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top